Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Hmmmm... how often do I preform water changes?

I have the 2.5 gallon MiniBow. It is filtered, the filter is brilliant. I only have my 1 girl betta in there, how often am I supposed to do 100% water changes? I havn't done a full 100% water change, but I do partials daily, 25% most days with 1 or 2 50% water changes intermingled... I don't have a gravel vaccume or siphon, so when I do the water change sometimes I churn up the gravel so I scoop up most of the poo and things, and the filter gets the rest...
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
I have the 2.5 gallon MiniBow. It is filtered, the filter is brilliant. I only have my 1 girl betta in there, how often am I supposed to do 100% water changes? I havn't done a full 100% water change, but I do partials daily, 25% most days with 1 or 2 50% water changes intermingled... I don't have a gravel vaccume or siphon, so when I do the water change sometimes I churn up the gravel so I scoop up most of the poo and things, and the filter gets the rest...

id do 25% 4 times a week 2 x 50 % and one 100%
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
id do 25% 4 times a week 2 x 50 % and one 100%
eg

M-25
T-25
W-50
T-25
F-50
S-25
S-100
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Phew! LOL, that's quite a few... lol... I kinda want to clean the tank now, feel like giving it a fresh start! Hmmm... be back in 30 minutes or so! :P Thanks abby, you are always so helpful to us kids on here.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Yay! Okay, just cleaned the tank 100% with a good gravel rinsing, and I added conditioner. I'm floating Luna now. :)
Old 03-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #6 
Abby

:) i try. now thats is a lot of water changes and i just realized u said ur filtered -facepalm- that is my schedual for 2 gal and less unfiltered filtered you could try
1 x 100 water change
2 x 25
1x 50

just see what works for you, i found daily waterchanges time consuming but they all got them for a week (yeh thats 6 water changes on various tank sizes for the first week
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 
Slayers

I my 2.5gal filtered I do 2 1 gal changes a week I have heard many on the board say if your filtered you don't need to do 100% you will upset the cycle if you are trying to do 1
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

If its filtered you do not have to do 100% changes. Just use a vacuum or siphon to clean the nasties at the bottom with regular changes.

If its unfiltered, youd need to do 100% changes.

If you want a more customized experience, get a test kit for ammonia and test each day. When it gets to .25, do a 30%-50% change. However often that is, change on that day. Then just go by the weekly established scedual and have a day where you vac. You probably dont need to do that many. That seems a little excessive, Abby. Idk.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Aw, rats! I messed up my cycle. ;/ But that's okay, haha. :) Luna's very happy! Oh well! Luna's already in there, exploring like nuts and her fins are very big and spread! :) Rearranged her plants a bit, 2 are under the filter and the spongebob house is at the other end at an angle, it looks much cuter like this! ;) At least I can do water changes well. I sadly do not have a gravel vaccume, but that would be a dream! I'm just curious, does anyone know how much a tiny one would cost? And can I find one at Petco or Petsmart? :)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 
Cravenne

I've seen small ones online at Petsmart for 6.99...I think they were 5 or 6 inches, which is perfect for a small tank.

Your tank will eventually cycle regardless of water changes....
Just don't change out the filter pad..it can be hard to keep a 2.5 cycled anyway.
Every other day 100% changes is what I'd do..every 3rd day would probably be ok as well.
Test strips will help you get an idea of how quickly the ammonia builds up and you can set your own schedule.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote