Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #1 
superbetta

Just in case?

Everyone gives alternate advise so I've been confused what precautionary item should I buy in case God forbid a betta gets sick? Should I just get AQ Salt or anything else? I already know to stay away from all the -fix medicines. Please advise me what to buy and how to use them? I've already been through a perfectly fine betta falling sick overnight and dying by morning so I'm really scared after that. There was no time to run to the store and get anything or order anything.
superbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

I recommend
AQ Salt - use to sterilize wounds. add 1 teaspoon per gallon (do not use for more than 10 days)
Epsom Salt - use for bloating and pulling excess fluid out of the fish - add 1 teaspoon per gallon
API Stresscoat and/or IAL (indian Almod Leaf) - help regrow fins and relax the fish
API General Cure - use for mild bloating if Epsom Salt does not work, follow box instructions
API Triple Sulfa - antibacterial - use for some infections, like advanced fin rot - follow instructions on box
API Fungus Cure or Jungle Fungus Clear - use for fungus treatment - follow instructions on box
CooperSafe or Medicine with Cooper Sulfate in it - use for velvet - follow instructions on box
Seachem Kanaplex - powerful antibacterial, use in case of dropsy or severe infections - follow instructions on box
API SuperICK or other ICK med - use to treat ICK. follow instructions on box
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #3 
superbetta

Thanks Vivian you're always so helpful. I don't think I need to buy all of these now right? What should I buy to keep at home as a precaution?
superbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4 
hgual22

I keep Aquarium and epsom salt, for salt baths for he reasons Vivian gave, stresscoat, and kanaplex. I feel confident having those on hand, since if it cant be fixed with a salt bath or some stress coat, I have the Kanaplex as an option if it gets bad. I can usually get to store quickly though if I need something else.
hgual22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

yes, i would have Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, Stresscoat and Kanaplex on hand. Although having all of the ones I listed on hand is actually really good. But you can buy them as you get extra money.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #6 
artemis35

Quote:
yes, i would have Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, Stresscoat and Kanaplex on hand.
^^^ Completely agree.

Especially look into getting the kanaplex ahead of time, since it may well need to be ordered online. Waiting on shipping while you have a sick fish is no fun.

The API medications are usually available at PetSmart, so if you have this store locally they are less of a priority to have on hand.
artemis35 is offline   Reply With Quote