Housing
What size is your tank? Temporary 1/2 gal tank. Upgrading to 2-2.5 today
What temperature is your tank? 79-80
Does your tank have a filter? Not at the moment
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not at the moment
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets (42% Protein), Frozen BW as treat only
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets 2xday, 1 Frozen BW 2xday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Haven't changed water yet, just put fish in bowl last night. Just got fish Monday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta specific dechlorinator that adds trace minerals to water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I've tested, though because everything was normal, I didn't write down the results. I use Bottled Zephyr-Hills Spring Water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's a CT, so very spiky - Small bit of white fuzz on the tip of one spike on his bottom fin and it looks like -maybe- a little on one spike on his anal fin. Color is vibrant and fins are not clamped. Seems healthily active and he ate this am.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Don't know, he's new.. However he seems to have adjusted well to his new home, he doesn't seem overly stressed, if at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not sure where to begin.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? He appears young, just got him from the store Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also noticing little flakes of white at the bottom of the bowl - it doesn't look like normal feces, or feces at all really.. It looks more like bird dander, like the casings that surround new feathers as they grow in.. There's 3 or 4 at the bottom of the tank, very small and vary in shape.. one is thicker and short, another looks like a small triangle. The rest have been pushed under his rocks so I can't see them. I'd take pictures of both the fish and the flakes, but my phone camera doesn't take good detail and the fuzz on the fish is so small it'd be hard to miss. He's acting as normal as I could expect a betta to act in a temporary 1/2 gallon bowl, and his fins are nice and open - they're still small and growing, but they're open and they don't appear to be rotting at all. Nothing I've researched really fits the bill on what he's got going on, but it also just started either last night or this morning so it's hard to compare it to pictures online.

If it's not one thing, it's another... I'm sorry for the continuous questions but this has been a marathon of bad luck for me and my babies. I want to thank everyone for their continued help and support and I really hope that I can get this cleared up and start into the smooth sailing portion of Betta Enjoyment!

Last edited by Saoirse; 03-09-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 
Saoirse

Update: It also looks like there might be the tip of one of his 'spikes' at the bottom of the tank as well.. Dark and skinny like his fins... Ugh!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 
Saoirse

Update: I don't know if this was here before because he's only recently started spreading his fins.. BUT on his caudal and anal fin there's a lot of red starting from his body and sort of 'seeping' down into the fins.. I don't know if it's blood - if it is, it's not discoloring the water - as I've moved him to a smaller cup to get a better look at him. It's very red, and like I said, I didn't notice it before, but he's a new fish, and I'm still taking in all his details.

Last edited by Saoirse; 03-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.