Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 
laughing

Which would be the best option??

Here are the options for my betta tank set-up. I don't know which would be the best, easiest, or over-all lowest cost so how about you guys help me out?

1) $20-Light, filter, 1 gallon tank.
Will need to purchase accessories for but a small bag of sand is $3 and there are some nice soft plants on sale for around $2 a piece. I think I could easily decorate this tank nicely at about $8.

2) $14-Only 2.5 gallon tank.
Same as above with decorations. I wouldn't have a hood, light, or filter as compared to above. Just the tank for that. BUT, I do have lamps and such to use high above, for $8 or something I can buy a hood (w/o light) or just use seran wrap until something goes on sale, and I wouldn't mind cleaning the tank every other day. Worth the extra space?

3) $20-Similar to #1, under-gravel filter, air pump, light hood, and 2 gallon tank.
Decorations the same as above approx. Downside is I'd love to use sand (I've always used gravel and would like to see if I enjoy sand better) and can't use that with the under-gravel filter.

4) $9- Approx 1 gallon. (Tiny bit less with decorations.) Comes with hood.
Would have to use a lamp, and would have to do daily 50% water changes and fully clean every other day.. Decorations would be pretty cheap like #1.

What would be the least stressful for myself, and would be the best for my future fish? #3 seems great but I was set on that sand... Maybe I could get rid of that filter and use it in my 5 gallon and purchase a different filter? It's easy to find $10 filters and such...

OPINION IT UP!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You didn't figure in a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and REQUIRE a heater!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
laughing

I've been keeping tropical fish quite some time now and have never had to have had a heater. I live in a very warm area even in the middle of winter at 1 am the water doesn't get below 76*. It stays consistent no matter what, it stays between 78*-80*. The biggest thing here is worrying of it getting TOO HOT!

If I see a change in this one day, I'll most definitely grab one and put it in my tank. But keeping 5 gallons, 20 gallons, 50 gallons, and 75 gallons the water temp has always been the same and consistent because I don't live where it ever gets cold!!

Thank you for the warning though!(:
Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Okay, didn't know that. I'd go with the 2.5 gallon. You don't NEED a filter for Bettas. Just do twice weekly 100% water changes on a tank that size.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #5 
laughing

That is true... Filters aren't too pricey anyways I could always get one later on down the road! I definitely don't mind the temporary "ghetto-ness" of seran wrap either! (My new 20 gallon just happens to have that right now until I can figure something better out.)

And of course there was no way of you to know! I just thought I'd inform you of it so you weren't concerned about it. Trust me, if it for some reason happens to get cold (for some freakish reason) I would not mind running to the store to grab a nice heater!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Do you have a petco near you? You can get a 3 gallon pet keeper with a lid for $12.99.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #7 
laughing

Oh yes I do! Is there a picture online or a product # you can find me??

That sounds like a GREAT option! I could get decorations and filter for about $15, not bad at all!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Here's the link! http://www.petco.com/product/12031/P...rium-Fish.aspx
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #9 
laughing

OH MY GOODNESS! That's PERFECT! It even comes in 5 gallons 0.o

I could decorate it cheaply and maybe get a small filter, we'll see. :) Lighting is sooo not a problem.

I think I just found my future betta a home!! :D $15 isn't bad for decorations and the tank w/ hood.

Thank you sooo much!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #10 
shinybetta

I use clear rubbermaid containers. 15$ can get a 30 gallon aquarium! 5 gallons are only a couple bucks.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote