Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #1 
gmd1800

Cheers for sand!

Due to space issues in my dorm room, I've had to downgrade Octavius to a 1.5 gallon tank. Same with Hestia. However, they both love their little tanks. Hestia's tank has natural rocks at the bottom. As an experiment (and safety precaution), I decided to put sand in Octo's tank.

Surprise... surprise - he loves it! When I first moved him into his new tank, his sand was perfectly flat. Now, it looks like the bottom of the ocean. It has natural valleys and hills. Octo loves to dive into the sand, wriggle around, and then speed around the tank like a demon possessed. He's definitely thriving in his new tank too. His colors has been changing much, much faster than I expected a marble to, and his tail is turning bluer by the day.

Before, in his 3 gallon, I was worried that he was going to do some real damage to himself because he kept digging in his gravel (glass stones) and rubbing his entire body. He actually lost a few scales this way.

With the sand, Octo can go on as many rampages as he want, and he has less chances of hurting himself unless he gives himself a concussion.

So, long post short, if anyone's considering sand, I absolutely encourage you to get it! Best fish-related purchase I've ever done (other than getting the fish themselves).
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

Fish concussions XD LOL :)

I'd do sand if it weren't for the fact I need the gravel to help hold my divider in place, and I've also heard it gets sucked up a lot when you vacuum your tank.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 
gmd1800

I use a trash can to hold the dirty water when I do water changes, and then I dump the water in the bathroom sink in my suite. There's definitely sand that gets sucked up, but there's really not that much that gets in there, and as long as the gravel vac isn't buried in the sand, it's not like you're losing half the sand every time.

I do understand the divider thing, though. Could you glue the dividers into place? I've also seen some members on the forum use gravel on top of sand. I don't know if it's possible with the setup you have, but that's an idea!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
Cravenne

Where are the pictures?!?!?!

:)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 
gmd1800

Pictures tonight, probably! I'm studying for organic chemistry right now - but I should be back in my room and not be too tired to take pictures tonight! :)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Forget the studying and take some pics!

;)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 
baylee767

I love sand (=

But I do have a worry. While he's rubbing against the substrate, does he seem uncomfortable and like he's itchy, and is he going on his side and twitching through the substrate? Because if so he has some sort of external parasite (ich, Velvet, etc.) So does he seem itchy and uncomfortable or happy and just rubbing through substrate for... who knows what reasons?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 
gmd1800

He does seem to twitch through it, but I can't see anything visibly wrong with him. I don't see ich spots, and he doesn't seem to have a "golden" film or dust (I just looked up velvet) on him.

Should I go ahead, QT him, clean out his tank and treat him with aquarium salt just to be on the safe side?

EDIT: He seems very happy in general except when I change his water. Then he's pouty until I feed him.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #9 
gmd1800

Here's pictures of the tank setup!

Hestia's tank, and the girl as well.

Octo's tank. And of course, the main man himself.

Octo and Hestia's tanks. The thing on top is a piece of cardboard and air pumps to keep the air pumps above water level. I don't know if that's really necessary, but I was following directions for the filter.

Opinions?

EDIT: Hahahah, I just noticed my mouthguard box was in front of the tanks. That shouldn't be there. Whoops.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #10 
baylee767

And a fork XD

That tank is really beautiful! I don't see a need to QT him without anything visibly wrong. Anyways, gorgeous boy, gorgeous tanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote