Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #1 
denaliwind

Conflicted... need help!

I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts right now... so pardon me if this post is all jumbled up, I only rewrote the post 9,123,993,421 times... =P

I want another betta, and I want to order it from AB. I've found my favorite seller and I keep stalking his auctions (you can see some of his fish in my profile xD), waiting for that 'omg gotta have' moment. But... but... I'm so cautious and hesitant about the whole 'shipping-all-the-way-from-Thailand' thing and all the risks involved. I know people do it successfully all the time but it just makes me so nervous. True, the seller has a DoA guarantee, but that's only for the first 24 hours after arrival... what if he dies 25 hours after arrival... >.> What if he never adjusts to his new home? What if he never recovers from the shipping? I take excellent care of my bettas, but suddenly I'm paranoid that I would mess something up... oops forgot to add water conditioner, or I over fed him and he exploded, or he managed to figure out how to get out of the tank in the middle of the night and my dog ate him... yeah... my mind is kind of going crazy right now... it's just a big investment and I want it to go well.

Help? @.@

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-09-2011 at 12:56 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

It is a big investment, but very rewarding in the long run. I would also be terrified of shipping from Thailand! Eek, so far, a whole ocean to cross! But if you are very careful unboxing and acclimating, the betta will be gorgeous and extremely healthy! And it's said often that AB bettas live much longer than pet store bettas because of the healthy lines they come from... oh well. But don't be too afraid if your dream betta comes along! You can do it.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 
Emmalea

Don't worry about the shipping, I got my first shipment from Thailand about three weeks ago and I was so worried about them shipping.
I was honesty a nervous wreck, I checked the tracking website like every hour and had a huge spazz when it started snowing because I thought the mail would be delayed. Also next day post takes two days to get to me so I was totally hating the thought of my poor bettas sitting in a freezing warehouse.

Needless to say my fish arrived in great shape and I totally stressed my self out over nothing.
Also keep in mind that pet store fish also need to make the same trip, they are just not packed nearly as well and they seem to make it alright.

You need to trust your betta keeping skills, the betta you have now is doing well right? well then your new one will also do fine. You know how to care for bettas, bettas from Thailand are just the same.

Stop worrying and get your fishy!
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
It is a big investment, but very rewarding in the long run. I would also be terrified of shipping from Thailand! Eek, so far, a whole ocean to cross! But if you are very careful unboxing and acclimating, the betta will be gorgeous and extremely healthy! And it's said often that AB bettas live much longer than pet store bettas because of the healthy lines they come from... oh well. But don't be too afraid if your dream betta comes along! You can do it.
Thank you very much for your kind words! In the past I always chickened out... but not this time. I'm going to take the plunge. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
Don't worry about the shipping, I got my first shipment from Thailand about three weeks ago and I was so worried about them shipping.
I was honesty a nervous wreck, I checked the tracking website like every hour and had a huge spazz when it started snowing because I thought the mail would be delayed. Also next day post takes two days to get to me so I was totally hating the thought of my poor bettas sitting in a freezing warehouse.

Needless to say my fish arrived in great shape and I totally stressed my self out over nothing.
Also keep in mind that pet store fish also need to make the same trip, they are just not packed nearly as well and they seem to make it alright.

You need to trust your betta keeping skills, the betta you have now is doing well right? well then your new one will also do fine. You know how to care for bettas, bettas from Thailand are just the same.

Stop worrying and get your fishy!
Ahaha thank you so much, you have no idea how much that helped me. You're right, bettas at the pet stores need to make the same trip and I know I can definitely do a better job then a pet store! I'm glad to hear your little one is doing well after the long trip. And I should trust my betta care, my little ones are thriving. Thanks again. ^^
Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

Ah, I was going to say something but I lost my post, lol
But I agree with the other posters ~
Just try to rationalize with yourself if you are really super worried about it, it won't change anything to keeping worrying. You said you take great care of your bettas, so if you get one from AB, then he/she should be just fine with you!
I say go for it if it's something you really want to do. :)

Getting a betta from Thailand is really cool! At least I think so, you will have a betta that came from another country!
And from the very country that bettas originated. :D
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Or...buy from- USA breeder...lots of great Bettas bred right here in the good-ole..USA...got several great breeders right here on this forum too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

You've got to quit thinking "what if, what if" or you'll drive yourself crazy. If you're unsure about the breeder, ask here on the forum if anyone has ever done business with the breeder you are interested in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 
denaliwind

Thank you all! It has been very helpful and has definitely calmed my mind.

I've decided to get a betta from Thailand, I have a specific breeder in mind. But I'm going to wait until I see one that shows up that I have to have. It may be tomorrow, or it may be a month from now. But I'm definitely confident in my decision now, thanks to the help from everyone who responded.

Thanks guys. ^^