Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 
therealbutter

Betta Fish accident -- HELP!

UGH! My poor fishy had an accident!! He's still alive.... I was just @ my computer getting ready to change some of his water and I could her a little tink-tink-tink on the glass.. and I look up to see he's stuck between the glass of the tank and the fake rock.. looked like he was just swimming in the narrow bit in between, and got stuck when it narrowed further.. Anyway he was THRASHING around with his whole little body!!

So I pulled the rock back to free him as fast as a could, and he darts away to the corner, but about 3/4 of the scales on his head have come off!! And they're swirling around like tiny little black dots :( .. so where his head before was all black it now looks almost marbled from where the scales came off. I'm trying to attach a picture, but it doesn't show the damage very well (you can see a bit between his eyes and just above).

Now he's hiding at the back of his tank and does not look good ... I sucked up the scales to get them out of the tank.... But is there anything I can do for him? Do you think he'll be ok? ANY help appreciated.

Other info: lone betta fish I've had for about 8 months, 2.5 gallon tank..
Attached Images

therealbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and dang....accidents happen......

Since this just happened...frequent water changes should help prevent secondary infection from the wound...especially if you have been doing regular water changes to start.....

In a 2.5gal filtered tank I would make daily 50% water changes for several days and then twice weekly on a regular schedule....

If the area starts to look infected or any fuzzy growth I would QT in a small container and start a 10 day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes

Maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range and feed a high protein diet small amounts several times a day.

I would turn off the light and and give him time to settle down before you start any water changes

Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #3 
Abby

My male Dastan appeared to me one morning with scales missing, turns out he'd been head butting the snail (go figure!)
his scales grew back with in a few days with out me doing anything

but that was when i was new and novice.
now id say maybe a 25% water change (clean water is best for helping them heal) maybe some AQ salts to prevent infection?

hmm im only just woken up so maybe wait for someone else to reply my brains not kicked in yet
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 
therealbutter

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info :) .
therealbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta accident scales