Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
JillyE

Angry Novice needs advice

Hey all, newbie here!
Purchased my male betta last Sunday from Petsmart. Bought him a 10 gallon tank, heater (78 constant) and filter (low flow). Using test strips and all params are good. Assorted hiding places and a floating log. He loved his new digs and flew around his new home checking everything out.

Noticed the next day, his activity level really slowed and he was hanging out at the top of the tank. Looked at him closely and noticed a bit of fin rot on his tail. Went and bought some Maracyn 2. Before adding meds, I did a 50% water change, added two Tbls aquarium salt and added the Maracyn as directed. That night into the next morning his activity level increased and he became his old self, darting around the tank. Next day I added the second dose of Maracyn and within an hour of dosing, his activity level dropped (again) and just stayed in his log at the top of the tank. He stayed there the rest of the evening and is still staying towards the surface today. I just did a 60% water change and it did perk him up a bit. His appetite is fair to good. Been giving him 3 or 4 pellets of Top fin Betta Bits twice a day, and in the last few days a small treat of freeze dried Blood worms. Gave him the Blood worms maybe a total of three times since I've had him.

Since the boy's at Petsmart gave me bad advice (small bowl, no heater) I have tried my hardest to do my own research, but there is so much conflicting info out there ; ( I really don't know what to do next.. Any suggestions? Also, it may help to know, I did buy two male's... the other boy is in his own tank thriving and doing great with the same water, food, etc. .

Thank you,
Jilly
Attached Images

JillyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #2 
TheKingsFish

At the Pet Smart in Kelowna I found a fairly decent guide called "The Betta Handbook," if you have this at your local store I recommend giving it a read.

What media are you using in your filter? How often are you testing your parameters? Do you have any plants? Live or silk?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #3 
JillyE

Hi,
Thank you. Not sure what you mean by "media"... Using the filter that came with the tank... Aqueon Power Filter 10.
Plants being used aren't silk or real. They are some type of plastic. Told that is what I can use. Is this a problem?
Jilly
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 
JillyE

Sorry, forgot this.. testing parameter's often. Almost used the whole container of strips already.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
Cravenne

If the water temps are good, water params are at the right levels, and he's eating(and not bloating)....he might just be adjusting to his new home. I can't speak to your choice of meds, but I'm sure someone will be along to weigh in on that.
I know most use salt treatments for health issues rather than meds.

Plastic plants can tear the poor guys fins. Better to switch to silk or live plants. In a 10G you have a great opportuinity to get a beauty live plant look happening, but silk can work just as nicely..bit less work too..lol.
A good test is to run pantyhose along all new decor, if it hears or catches the hose, it's a risk to the fins.
I'd switch those out asap. Sometimes a tiny tear in a fin can turn into fin rot.

Watch your params, do frequent water changes (clean water is the best treatment for anything) and watch his progress.

4 pellets twice a day might be a bit much depending on their size..most Bettas will beg and beg as if they are starving. Just watch out for a large belly. If you notice it, fast him for a day or two and cut back on the feeding a bit.

Also..you may want to do a search about cycling. 10G is a great size to cycle. The meds you're using might affect it now, but once his fins are cleared up and you stop dosing, the cycling will be your next step. Wouldn't hurt to read up on it a bit. Many on here can offer advice...just thought I'd focus on the fin rot and setup issues first :)

Once the tank is cycled, you can do weekly changes of 30%-50% or so, depending on your stocking..it'll get easier then :)

We'd love to see some pics of the tank and your other boy too!!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 
JillyE

Novice needs advice

Thank you so much ; ) I will follow all your advice, ASAP. I would love to hear how to get my little guy med free!

Gilly (sickie boy) is a foodie, so I may have given him too much (?) Starting out, it's just not clear what is too much, or too little. I'm going to fast him for 24 hours, and see if that helps.

Finley, my other boy doesn't enjoy eating as much, and only eats to survive ; )

Finley is in a 5 gallon tank, and Gilly a 10... Here's a coupla pics, not real clear, sorry. The tanks will be changing, and all the plastics out!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #7 
Cravenne

It's hard to see the bellies in the pics. I kinda thought the very first picture you had posted showed signs of a round belly...hard to tell though.

I'd say 5 or 6 small pellets a day is plenty. Again it depends on the size of the pellets themselves. I use TopFin which are really small and I only do about 5 a day. A day of fasting every week is a great thing though..I think most people do it.

As for med free..salt dosing is easier, cheaper and less stressful on the fish for sure. I believe the dosage is 1tsp/G but don't quote me on that..
There's a mod here named OldFishLady..she's the Queen of Bettas. You could send her a private message for exact details.
You could also search fin rot treatment with the search function and you'll find tons of posts. For some reason, I kind of recall reading that you can't mix certain meds with salt, so you'd have to stop the meds you are dosing with right now, change out the water and switch to salt for a couple of weeks.

I had a boy with some fin rot. He came home with it..he lives in a 2ishG tank and I didn't use salt at all, just daily 100% changes. It cleared up quite well and now you'd never know.

Good to hear about the plants...you can see how sharp they are from the pictures. Your boys with be much happier with soft sillk ones!!

Those pictures are great :) Very handsome boys. The CT looks quite similar to my Steve!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

pretty fish!

When he's floating at the top, does he sort of roll to one side, or seem like he has trouble swimming down?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #9 
JillyE

Novice needs advice

Thanks, Cravenne ; )
I noticed a little belly bulge in a couple of the pics, too. My pics aren't great, no light today, and the flash doesn't work well (too much reflection). Plus, one of the pics I uploaded was a mistake (sigh).. a real newbie!
Quick question, is "round belly" the same as bloat?
Maybe you can take a look at this pic... this is hard to see in person, as his belly looks kind of flat!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #10 
JillyE

Lola,
No, he does not roll to one side. He is straight, and doesn't seem to have any problem swimming down.