Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #11 
Pete1burn

Water temp is 80 degrees exactly. It wasn't an exoskeleton, it was an actual reddish dead shrimp.

Any thoughts on the sponge filter? It doesn't seem to be keeping the water clean.
Pete1burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

The sponge filter needs time to mature and for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on it...then it will start to do a good job...until then you have to make water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #13 
Pete1burn

Great, thank you. I'll keep up on the water changes and hope for the best.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #14 
Pete1burn

He seems a bit more energetic this morning and actually tried to eat a few pellets. He sucked them in and spit them back out after a few "chomps". I think he actually ate one, but it's definitely progress.

The water is still very cloudy and I'm worried this sponge filter isn't cleaning the water very well. There are very limited options for a small tank that I thought this was the best option.

In any case, I suppose he seems to be doing a bit better, but I'm still concerned.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear...keep up with the water changes and give the sponge filter time to mature as well as the tank itself....it can take from 4-8 weeks....until then make those partial water changes......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #16 
Pete1burn

I put a longer lift tube on the sponge filter so I could turn up the air pump more. Before, if I turned it up too much, the bubbles would overflow the tube and gather on the surface of the tank making a lot of disturbance.

It's certainly moving more air now without overflowing the tube, so I'm hoping that helps with the filtration.

Did another 50% water change and going to see if he eats any more today.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #17 
Pete1burn

Another question. Now that he's started eating (finally!) he will only eat the freeze-dried blood worms I offer. I tried pellets, but he either stares at them until they fall, or he spits them out. I tried some flakes (even though I know they're not very good for them) and he sucks them in and spits them right back out. The only thing he wants to eat are the blood worms, but these are only supposed to be a "treat", right? They don't have a lot of nutritional value to them.

What can I do about getting him to eat the pellets? They're Betta pellets so they're tiny. He just seems completely uninterested.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #18 
turtle10

Try soaking the pellets in garlic juice.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote