Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Question What's a good glass cleaner for outside the tank?

None of my betta fish are in this tank, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I was going to be away for about two weeks. My Pearl Gourami, Rose Minnow, GloFish, and (at the time) three guppies occupied a BiOrb aquarium. Whatever feeder I put in there decenigraded(sp?) horribly... my minnow loved the food from it, so she kept it pretty clean, but it made the water smell horrible and now a nast film covers the lid and outside of the tank every few weeks, in which I clean it off that often.

My granpa got some for his tanks too... it ended up that he had to completely clean one tank out (the one with his Black Orchid betta), and the other two became ridden with algae. (Ridden... don't think that's the right word or way to spell it, but you get what I mean.)

I forget what brand it was... but I remember what it looked like and will never get it again!

My granpa says the feeder was probably made with calcium, thus the smell. And it's probably why my tank now gets unsightly dirty so fast.
Any good cleaners I can use to keep it from building back up? Or make it seem cleaner longer anyway :P
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I would not suggest using any kind of cleaner that is not made of natural ingredients. These may leech via humidity, accident, contact, anything- into your tank and into the water.

Try lemon juice, stuff like that, really hot water, and products (I think, check first..) like goo gone, which if I can recall is pretty much just citrus juice...It cuts through lots of stuff..

Idk, just be careful with what you do..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I would not suggest using any kind of cleaner that is not made of natural ingredients. These may leech via humidity, accident, contact, anything- into your tank and into the water.

Try lemon juice, stuff like that, really hot water, and products (I think, check first..) like goo gone, which if I can recall is pretty much just citrus juice...It cuts through lots of stuff..

Idk, just be careful with what you do..
I've just been wiping it off with a damp and dry towel. It just seems to keep forming... but thanks. Yeah, I had to ask 'cause I didn't want chemicals to get in somehow (even if it is on the outside of the tank).

And I think Goo Gone is citrus... definitely smelled like it last time I used it on that stupid parking sticker on my car door. (Rambling, ignore this last bit lol)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

If its got nothing but natural stuff in it, Id try it. I dont have a bottle in my dorm (wish I did!) to check.

Idk, I'd just be weary of what not only goes in the tank, but equally so about the outside! You never know.

No other foods for the picky fish? This stuff sounds gross!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I spray windex on a paper towel and wipe the front of my tanks. Never had an issue with contamination just yet.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No other foods for the picky fish? This stuff sounds gross!
Never again, lol.... My granpa didn't want my grama's best friend overfeeding them all ('cause she knows thaaat much about fish xP ) so he took a chance with those feeder blocks.
Thankfully I only suffered one casualty. Well, not thankfully.... It was one female guppy (Speed Racer). At least I have her three kids. |D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I spray windex on a paper towel and wipe the front of my tanks. Never had an issue with contamination just yet.
Thanks... just want to get rid of that blecjhdsknbs on their tank... x_X
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

On the lid, though? I'd get unnerved by that D;
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #8 
Pekemom

I love those bio orbs. Are you happy with the tank itself?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #9 
Alex09

I use a microfiber cloth. works amazing. If there's a stubborn spot I just breath on it and then wipe.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Oh, well once I cleaned it, the tank looks beautiful! It's just... it keeps growing back! D:
I might have to just empty the entire tank out and clean it. It probably needs it anyway, even though it's a bit earlier than scheduled....

... What to do with my giant Pearl Gourami.... >> *looks at Samm's 20 gallon* ... ... shoot, Samm'd eat him. xD;

And @Pekemom, I love the BiOrb, too. Great to put in a living room as it's not plainly square and etc. But it's so darn hard to catch fish when there's no corners to trap them in. lol!