Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #1 
pumpkinspikepie

Arrrgyle & Friends' Tank

I kind of just wanted to brag a little about my betta's tank. I'm really proud of how I've pulled it together!

He's in an old Critter Keeper; he shares it with three albino cories, an ivory snail, and one or two ghost shrimp (I almost never see them!). Since Arrrgyle only has one eye, I decided he's my pirate fishy and so I decorated his tank with pirate-themed decorations. He has a sunken ship, a pirate figurine, a ship's wheel, and a treasure chest; along the top is a pothos clipping that he likes to rest on. Usually he also has a small plastic plant in there as well but he's lending it to my little rehab fishy. I recently got him a sponge filter which he actually seems to love; he tries to eat the little bubbles that come off of it, so cute.

For the substrate I have half-sand, half-rock; the sand is for the cories. They love zipping around the tank and hanging out together.

Before I put in the sand:

Cories on the sand:

Doubloon the snail.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I assume that's like a 5gallon?

Thats over stocked, sorry. They grow to a decent bit of a size, too, and that snail and your betta alone are pretty much at the top level of stock....

I recommend a 10, and no less for a betta and any kind of cory group.

Its a cute set up, just too small..

Edit: Oh wow. And shrimp? Too much for a tank I cant imagine is more than 7gallons! :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #3 
pumpkinspikepie

It's more like an eight, and everyone's doing really well. I didn't really ask for advice, but thanks for your concern.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

:/ Just letting you know. And btw- you post it here and there's an issue, someone's likley to point it out.

Im sure Im not the only one who's going to point it out, and hey- you dont want help? Do it right the first time :/

At least I thought it looked nice. lol

Sorry for helping~!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 
pumpkinspikepie

I'm not trying to be rude, but honestly if it was a concern I would've said so. I really just wanted to show that I put together the tank and I was proud of it. I wasn't looking for criticism.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

You didnt get it, you got advice that will save you trouble if your fishes get sick in future.
You may not think it a concern, but others may recognize it in your place.

Again, hey. I said it was nice, and it is.

This is a forum, these are annonymous people, this is what happens!

Oy.
/done
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 
pumpkinspikepie

Look, I do water changes every other day, I've got a test kit. Just because I've got under 20 posts doesn't mean I'm an idiot / that I've never owned a fish before. My betta and cories are all super active and healthy. If I need advice I will not hesitate to ask for it.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Good. And I dont go by posts, exactly for that reason.

And again, good. Whatever, do as you will. You dont need to take my advice and my comments, but being on a forum, putting this stuff out there leaves it open to comments of all types.

Have a great evening.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

If you post something on the internet your opening yourself up for criticism. This is a VERY forgiving forum.. others would not take so kindly to improper care.

The fact of the matter is cories are active fish and shouldn't be housing in anything less than 10 gallons... its about space... not water quality. I can keep 20 guppies in a 5 gallon tank and keep the water pristine... doesn't mean they are going to live to their fullest potential.

No reason to be offended... you might know what your doing but someone who visits the site and sees your pictures might not.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #10 
pumpkinspikepie

They usually just hang out in the same spot together, but they have a lot of other space to zip around. They're all active and healthy, and they get plenty of exercise. I wouldn't set up a tank without educating myself first and talking to knowledgeable people.

I'm also not offended, I'm just saying that I'd appreciate it if I wasn't talked down to about improper care.