Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
misamiania

Do Some Betta's just prefer smaller?

So Zebo, my blue veil tail. I bought a 5 gal for him. An all he did was hide out in the bottom corner by the heater :( He came up for air and that was it. I did water changes every other day. I checked the readings and all was good. Now he's in a kritter keeper that's almost a gallon but not quite. An he's the most active I've seen him since I bought him and his color is really shining and just popping out! In his kritter keeper he's getting water changes every other day and I check the ammonia every day. Checked it today and it was 0.

So my question is... do some Betta's just prefer smaller? I know Eco loves his 1.5 and I'll probably move him to my 5 gal (:3 Actually the LFS is having a sale on 10 gal tanks for 13.99... hmmm)
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

I guess some are used to small areas or they are just happier with a smaller home.
I'd still give him at least 2.5 gallons though, or 1.5 like your other one so he has a good amount of space to live.
You can add decor for him to explore (if you don't already) too.
:)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Some do....just as some like bigger tanks some like smaller tanks....sometimes you have to gradually acclimate them to larger spaces.....a lot of Bettas have never seen more space than half gallon or less once they are cupped for grow-out and it can be pretty scary for some...not all Bettas....but some can really feel intimidated and fear that something is right around the corner ready to eat them and yet others don't....each Betta is an individual.......and love to keep us on out toes....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
misamiania

He has room to explore, he has some plants that are suction cupped up higher, a bridge to hide under, etc.

He's the brightest I've ever seen him and the most active too. I hate to ruin a good thing. I also hate having him in something so small. But... unless he shows signs I think I might keep him in there. Just gota make sure that I keep track of the readings.

Yea... maybe that was it... He was in a 1.5 gal before that though ( a tupper ware container that held 1.5 gal and even a 1.5 gal tank. his old one is now inhabited by another Betta >> I can't have empty tanks... it's like... impossible)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Yup - I have 2 that just HATE 5 gal. tanks and seem stressed beyond belief. Moved each into his own smaller habitat last week and WOW - they are like different fish!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #6 
JackisLost

My betta is in a 5 gallon and he never leaves his betta log. I think he loves that floating cave
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #7 
denaliwind

I've experienced that too. I remember moving Noonie into a 5 gallon and he just huddled in one corner, never explored. A couple weeks later I moved him back into his smaller home and guess what? He made a bubble nest and was active yet again. My other fish, Chaucer was the opposite. He was restless in a smaller tank, there was never enough space, so when I moved him into a 5 gallon he was like "omg I'm freeeee!" He was so active and content. They seem to have their comfort zones just like we do.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #8 
misamiania

Yea... I can understand that. i know a few of my friends get freaked out in a way when they come see me because I live out in the country. So it's either wide open spaces or narrow roads surrounded by trees.

Where me, I get claustrophobic going into the city like Seattle or Portland.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by misamiania View Post
Where me, I get claustrophobic going into the city like Seattle or Portland.
Ahaha me too! XD My friends think I'm weird for that... but I like to be able to see everything around me... be able to breathe. =P
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #10 
theyxdrewxblood

Johann certainly does. I had bought a bigger tank after my other betta died and I put my new one, Johann in it. He seemed really stressed and just hid in the corner. Yesterday I put him in the smaller tank just to see and today he was active and happy, and he even made a cute little bubble nest at the top.

It really depends on the betta.
theyxdrewxblood is offline   Reply With Quote