Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 
Malvolti

Cool Man, I feel like a Woman!

That's right! It's time for another episode of "Guess that gender"! (cheesy gameshow music starts).

Todays contestant comes all the way from Canada where it was labelled as "Male short tail". Can you GUESS-THAT-GENDER?

My first instinct in the store was female but she was with all the males which were labelled "short tail", basically a collection of Plakats and Deltas. I picked her up because she was following me everywhere I went in the store, whenever I turned to look at the Bettas I could see he looking at me.

I'm not sure what to name her but I'm thinking something gender neutral like Leslie or Danny in honour of the mislabel. Either that or Mi Pho in honour of the fact that I was out with friends at the time for some Pho and the restaurant's name was Mi 99.

On a side note they had a baby Arowana in a giant tank in the middle of the restaurant. My friends thought I was weird because I not only knew the kind of fish it was but I guessed pretty accurately it's age.

Anyways, ON TOPIC: Am I right that she's a female? The body and fins tell me yes but you can never be too sure. I tried looking for an ovipositor but she kept her fins in the way.

Last edited by Malvolti; 03-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Female fo sho.

XD Weird talking aside, yeah I'm sure shes female :D She's cute :3
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Just looking at where the dorsal is positioned and the size of the fins overall as well as the tiny size of the ventrals... girlie! LOL. She's pretty! :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 
denaliwind

You got a lady on your hands! :D
She's absolutely adorable btw.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Cute girl!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #6 
Malvolti

I know, she is a little cutie.

The best part is I put some pellets in her tank and she immediately ate 3. I don't want to jinx it but I'm taking that as a good sign.

I know very little about females (she's my first actually) so my next question is what fin-type is she? I know the pics aren't great so I'll try to get better ones when she settles in. I'm giving her a few hours without me admiring her and the lights off.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

Female cambodian decent from a delta/HM breeder.

stress lines
javelin body form
tricolor
delta pec

she's a "reject" for breeding due to the low number of tail spars. more a veil than a HM stock
might also be a female king, not much experience with them yet

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-10-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #8 
Malvolti

Yeah, the stress lines are from the cup and the drive. Those were when we just got home. Now they're mostly gone unless I pull out the camera. When I do they start coming back.

I know she isnt breeder quality, if she was she wouldn't be in a pet store. The shop did have a huge collection of Kings so their supplier may have slipped them a female. But they also had almost every tail type all for $6 mixed together. The kings were $15.

I'm not sure about tricolour, right now she's a solid sky blue, except for the lines when they show up. I really don't know how you can guess all that from a few bad pics, I guess it's experience. Impressive.

Here are a few more pics in her temporary home. I have her in a 1.5 gal quarantine while I let her future 3 gal home settle and age. There are some tannins in the water since she seems to be a bit of a stresser and pretty skittish.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Awwww, she's so gorgeous! And I own the same tank, woot! Just don't use it at the moment... ;) She looks so cute! She'll come round, I'm sure! This is really stressful for them when ya think 'bout it. :D But she's so pretty! Love her color. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

car rides... I swear betta can get carsick from the sloshing.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote