Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 
sindorei

6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium

I am going to be getting one of these, they are 24" long x um... 7 x 9? i think. Petco sells them. Anyway I am wanting ideas as to what tiny guys can go in a 6.6 gallon with 1 male betta. I am wanting to have coarse sand and live plants, lots of them, maybe a small rock or two, or some small branches. I dont like the red-blue combo of neon tetras, are there any other tiny fish that can peacefully live with a male betta in a small tank? Color is important, but the tankmates getting along is important too. I am going to get a white opaque CT, so something not white and not green (plants) would be nice

thanks in advance!
sindorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I think that tetras need at least a 10 gallon tank to themselves for exercise purposes (I think I read that they are pretty active little guys), and a lot of small fish need to have lots of room and need to live in decent sized groups. I tried to find other fish that could live in small tanks, and it seems like there aren't very many besides bettas.

I honestly don't think you'll have room for much more than shrimps and snails and such, so I think you should check out some invertebrates. You could mix a variety of snails and shrimps, they would all look so cute with your betta! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 
sindorei

what kinds?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #4 
TaylorW

Well, have you ever looked up red cherry shrimp? They are really colorful and cute little guys :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #5 
Alex09

You can also divide the tank. a 24 inch long tank can easily be divided into 3-5 sections.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 
sindorei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
You can also divide the tank. a 24 inch long tank can easily be divided into 3-5 sections.
and what can live comfortably in a tiny cube 7" x 9" x 7"?

no thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #7 
demonr6

I have that tank for Dante and he is happy as can be in there. Lots of room to explore although it is shallow. When you add the substrate, decos and plants it can get crowded fast so other than some shrimp and a snail or two I would hold off on adding anything but your betta. I have pics around on the forum of that tank set up. It is all natural planted with no maintenance really other than topping it off, checking the water weekly and of course feeding the fish.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 
sindorei

A side note/similar question.... IF I decide I just hate snails and shrimps, and absolutely want a small school of something, what is the minimum tank size for such a set up, that I should consider? A 10? And what fish would be good for said schooling community?

I want to keep my options open, and a 10 gallon is a TON cheaper than the $50 bookshelf tank
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

I'd get a 10 gallon at least if you intend to add a school of fish. You could get a pretty shoal of neon tetras to live with your Betta.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #10 
sindorei

Sorry I hate neon tetras lol they are the only species I absolutely dont want :(