Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 AM   #1 
baylee767

Smile Diatom cleanup/re-arranging the tank!

If I wasn't going on a 3 week trip to Europe in two days, I would have switched out my substrate like I've been planning to, added tannins to the water, a big piece of driftwood, added some of that stuff I'm adding to my filter to remove phosphates and silicates that'll remove diatoms from my tap, and put in a new filter baffle. Because I came close to re-doing my tank, I wish I could have completely done it like I will...

But, I still changed it A LOT. I have a lot of silicates/phosphates in my tap (causes diatoms) so I know that my 3 week trip to Europe will cause the tank to turn completely BROWN without all the excess maintanence due to the diatoms. So I completely washed off EVERYTHING but the filter and the substrate. All of the silk plants, real plants, the shelf, my sponge baffle, were all taken out of the tank and washed for around 5-10 minutes each in hot water. In the end the process took somewhere around 1-2 hours, and the whole time I had poor Neon stressed out and cowering while I scrubbed he tank. I got most of the diatoms on the glass, but there's still some.

I then put everything in in a new spot. I made the tank as interesting for Neon to explore possible, and the most eye pleasing lol. Unfortunatly the tank is cloudy right now from bits of diatom being wiped off the sides and some of the plants and floating through the water >.> I would do a huge water change now, but that would probably kill off whatever beneficial bacteria I have left.

Anyways, tank mostly re-done, more hiding/resting/exploring spots for Neon, and less diatoms. Around 90% cleaned off... Here ya go for the pictures.

EDIT: I just had a heart attack. I looked over and Neon was laying on his side on the gravel... then I noticed he was just laying in the spot the filter flow is directed XD I sat up and he jumped up and stared at me. Gah, why does he have to be so wierd?
Attached Images

Last edited by baylee767; 03-10-2011 at 03:45 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #2 
Cravenne

Looks great! Lucky Neon :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #3 
demonr6

What were you going to add to the filter to combat the diatoms?
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4 
baylee767

Trying to remember the name... it's phosguard or something like that. My dad tested it on the saltwater tank that was getting taken over with diatoms, and in less than a week there is just a light brown over the sand. I think snails prefer to eat it in dead form too because they started eating it after the silicates/phosphates were removed.... can't wait to try it!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote