Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #1 
cjayBetta

Unhappy OMG..... Is it... is it Dropsy?! (pics)

I dont know if I'm nuts or what but it looks to me like ALL of chewie's scales are now all raised up! I got my husband to look and he see's it too so maybe (hopefully) were both nuts. We've done everything we have been possibly able to do for this poor little guy... Hes in a 5g tank, filtered, heated... contant temp of 78*! Lots of plants, a cave. 3 different kinds of food, water changes twice a week (just because he was in such bad condition when we bought him) I cleared up his fin rot and he was growing out his new fins soooo well. What did I do wrong???? :(

Maybe he will pull through! I have him in an Epsom salt treatment atm... is there anything else I can do for the little guy. God... i feel like its all my fault!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Dang....I can't tell anything by the pic.....good that you have him in Epsom salt....I assume you also have him in QT floating in the heated tank....If you haven't already I would get the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal ASAP if his scales are already sticking up....how is he overall-still eating and acting okay???

You bought him in bad shape to start...so this isn't your fault.....we can only do so much.....and you have done everything right.......so don't feel bad......stuff happens.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #3 
cjayBetta

Yup he's floating in his tank in a cup thingy... he is eating just like normal and i did notice a behavior change in him, when he was still in the 5g i notice that he was ALWAYS hiding in his plants and just came out to eat basically.
I will up the epsom salt dose straight away. He is also quite a bit bloated aswell. I SO HOPE he pulls through!

and thanks, I know its nothing I did I just feel bad :(
Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
cjayBetta

Also Ill try to get some better pictures... it wasnt easy, I took like 20 of them before i got those that KINDA showed the scales.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes I think its my computer being the reason I can't see pic...its pretty old...lol.....and taking pic of fish can be a real challenge anyway....

I hope he get better...sometimes these thing happen..its a good sign that he still want to eat....how long ago was he in aquarium salt with his tail problem.....do you know how old he is....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #6 
LolaQuigs

If you can get any pictures from above, it would be best. I hope he pulls through!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #7 
cjayBetta

It was like a month ago that he was in AQ salt.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

cjBetta,

I've looked and looked at the above pictures, and all I see is a beautiful betta.

Usually with Drospy, the fish looks like a puffed-out pine cone. It looks to me like Chewie's scales are laying flat, just like they should.

If you can get a shot from above, as LolaQuigs suggested, we might be able to see what you're seeing...

I hope he's ok!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #9 
cjayBetta

It was hard to get a picture of it but they are def raised but not all the way yet, I think I caught it early. So im hoping with the epsom salt treatment it will help! I tried to get a top few but the flash kept reflecting off the water... ill post the best one.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 
cjayBetta

Best one I could get.