Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

So excited.. can't hold it in any longer!

I didn't want to say anything until my females arrived safely but I can't wait till Wednesday

After a LOT of thinking, planning, re-arranging, and soul searching I decided that I want to do another spawn. With most of my fry going to their new homes week after next I figured this is as good a time as any.

I have two absolutely drop dead gorgeous females coming to me on Wednesday. They're coming from... yeah you guessed it.. Martinismommy I entertained the notion of going with a completely unrelated female but after weeks of searching Aquabid I decided that there was nothing being offered in the US with the kind of branching and fin structure that I was looking for. Of course Karen had not one but two females who were EXACTLY what I wanted.

My original plan was to try a spawn over the summer but I decided getting an early start would help to ensure that the fry are homed by next Fall (when my schedule is sure to get hectic again).

The lucky Daddy will Lieutenant Dan.. my MG Shortfin who is also from Karen's line. He's an amazing fish and with the females I'm getting he's sure to produce some knock outs.

Right now I'm in the process of getting everything together. Lucky for me I kept a small culture of my Vinegar Eels. I'm also ordering brine shrimp eggs because I want to see if using live BBS affects my fry growth vs feeding the frozen.

My set up this time is going to be a glass 5 gallon (to get better pictures) 50 watt heater, java moss and guppy grass, and of course IAL.

So what I need still is:
Live worms
more moss, guppy grass, and live floating plants

So if anyone has a LARGE culture of worms (like ready to feed large) or floating plants send me a PM and we'll talk prices.

Pics of the girls and Dan when they arrive on Wednesday. Spawning tank set up *hopefully* this coming weekend or early next week (since it's my spring break).

Oh yeah.. these girls are from Karen's BOS pair. All those pretty marbles you've been seeing lately :) I'm expecting this crossing to give me some Multi's, MG, Marbles, and Butterflies
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Can't wait! I FINALLY payed for the purple girl I wanted and she comes soon...going to breed to my HM male.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Hehe, you sound excited! GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks to you guys and your breeding threads, I can live vicariously.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #4 
beat2020

Yay! I'm so glad you're getting back into breeding! :)

Can't wait to see pictures of the girlies...BTW Which pair are your girls from? Because the BOS pair is just multis and MGs I believe...All the marbles that Karen has been listing lately come from her green marble male and green female...
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

So funny... I guessed!! ROFL!
Can't wait for pictures ARGH!!
I'm sure they are fantastic girls!
I miss looking at Karen's auctions but it's good because I'm not tempted LOL!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

The green male and green female were BOS winners :) (unless I'm totally loopy). One of the females is really similar to her mommy which is one of the reasons I'm practically vibrating with anticipation... this should be a GREAT pair.

I'm not saying I'm "back" into breeding.. more like.. as long as I feel I have the time I'll do a spawn. I'm not entertaining any notions of keeping any fry and starting a line because things are just too uncertain right now.

So maybe for a while I just do a spawn once a summer or something. It'll be good experience so when I get into breeding full time I'll be a dab hand

LOL.. Vil.. you show me yours and I'll show you mine. I still haven't seen pics of your latest additions

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 03-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

A spawn here and there when you have the time and resources is a heck of a lot better than not spawning at all!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #8 
denaliwind

That's very exciting news!! I can't wait to see pictures.
Good luck and keep us posted. :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Haha Mr V... I definitely agree. I'm actually excited at the prospect of just breeding for the experience (while still producing quality fish) instead of trying to create a line because I'll be able to experiment with different colors and tail types instead of focusing on just one color or colors.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted. You'll be seeing one of my famous obsessive, pic spammy, way too many updates spawn threads around here as soon as I get the pair in the tank.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #10 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'll definitely keep everyone posted. You'll be seeing one of my famous obsessive, pic spammy, way too many updates spawn threads around here as soon as I get the pair in the tank.
Fantastic.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote