Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #1 
Ashashi

Unhappy Torn dorsal fin woes

Hello!

I recently put my boys in a divided 10gal tank as opposed to their individoal 1.5/2.5 gal mini tanks.

When I had placed them in their cups during the switch, I noticed my DTHM Leo's dorsal fin had a HUGE split from top to bottom.

He'd had two teeny splits there since the first day I bought him from petco, and it looked like they were healing as did the little splits in his tail but now its all the way down to the top part of his body.

I have some de-stresser liquid droplets with aloe in them to help (also boosts appetite) and some Aq. salt so he isn't prone to infection given the new 10gal tank and a tank buddy.

What should I do?
Ashashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Warm, clean water is what stimulates fin regrowth along with the Stress Coat conditioner you're adding. How much aquarium salt are you using? Generally 1 teaspoon per gallon is fine but do not go over 14 days using AQ salt. It can actually harm their liver and kidney's when tried to use as therapy.

So instead of using salt, just keep the tank clean. I suggest doing two gravel vacuums a week (you can either do two 25% or two 50%) either way is fine as long as you're keeping unwanted parasites out of the tank.

Keep the temperature around 78 degree's if you can, and just add in Stress Coat conditioner each time you add new water. (No matter which conditioner you use, always, always! use conditioner before putting new water into the tank. Chlorine and heavy metals are harmful to fish)

Also a high quality diet will help stimulate growth, if you can find mosquito larvae around, give them a rinse in some conditioned water and then you can feed a couple to your Betta's with a dropper of some sort!

Or you can get higher quality pellets like New Life Spectrum or Omega One, those will certainly help. And remember to scoop out any uneaten food, that will rot and make it easier for bacteria to get into his fins!

I hope this helps and he heals up soon! With good care, he should start to stitch it together by the end of the week
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Warm, clean water is what stimulates fin regrowth along with the Stress Coat conditioner you're adding. How much aquarium salt are you using? Generally 1 teaspoon per gallon is fine but do not go over 14 days using AQ salt. It can actually harm their liver and kidney's when tried to use as therapy.

So instead of using salt, just keep the tank clean. I suggest doing two gravel vacuums a week (you can either do two 25% or two 50%) either way is fine as long as you're keeping unwanted parasites out of the tank.

Keep the temperature around 78 degree's if you can, and just add in Stress Coat conditioner each time you add new water. (No matter which conditioner you use, always, always! use conditioner before putting new water into the tank. Chlorine and heavy metals are harmful to fish)

Also a high quality diet will help stimulate growth, if you can find mosquito larvae around, give them a rinse in some conditioned water and then you can feed a couple to your Betta's with a dropper of some sort!

Or you can get higher quality pellets like New Life Spectrum or Omega One, those will certainly help. And remember to scoop out any uneaten food, that will rot and make it easier for bacteria to get into his fins!

I hope this helps and he heals up soon! With good care, he should start to stitch it together by the end of the week
Thank you! :)
I turned up the heat and have been doing what water changes I can. No healing yet but hopefully soon!

I also found out the hard way that the new filter is way too powerful...the intake split one of his double tails :< but i fixed it with some pantyhoes.

But now I'm having a waterflow problem! Itsg moving too fast. I have it slightly baffled with an aquarium sponge but it doesn't stop it enough and its making Leo very cranky...

Leo is also surprisingly aggressive to Raph, my red crowntail and his tank mate with the divider. Poor Raph can't do much near the divider without Leo chasing him off...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the aggression is normal, one of my boy's in the split 3 way 10 gallon does that but that's why I moved him to the end instead of the middle where he could see two fish lol

Here are some filter baffles that you might be able to do: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
And: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

The second isn't a step by step but if you read the comments you can get the idea

and yes, pantyhose around the intake is good, still sucks well but won't pull the fins up into the filter!

Are there two filters or just one on Leo's side? If there is just one, I would consider switching their places to see if Leo can heal up his fins with some rest to the filter. That might help him feel better too
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #5 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah the aggression is normal, one of my boy's in the split 3 way 10 gallon does that but that's why I moved him to the end instead of the middle where he could see two fish lol

Here are some filter baffles that you might be able to do: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
And: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

The second isn't a step by step but if you read the comments you can get the idea

and yes, pantyhose around the intake is good, still sucks well but won't pull the fins up into the filter!

Are there two filters or just one on Leo's side? If there is just one, I would consider switching their places to see if Leo can heal up his fins with some rest to the filter. That might help him feel better too
Thank you for the help! ^^ You've commented on almost all of my posts with suggestions and I sincerely appreciate it!

The pantyhose was working but gunk got in the fibers and clogged it, causing the filter to slow or stop altogether. So I put some plastic canvas on the inside of the intake tube so it has plenty of water flow without gunky build up happening and prevents Leo's fins from getting sucked in!

I made one of the baffles out of a plastic cup and it works like a charm <3 Leo's happier now.

My main concern currently though is the other guy, Raph who I just discovered hasn't been suffering from fin rot but internal parasites...

Link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=201218
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm happy the baffle works and all! yeah sorry, I forgot the mention that at each gravel vacuuming you should either run the vacuum over the pantyhose or take it off to swish in old tank water you just took out

And I just commented on your boy Raph and so we'll continue that over there

Happy I can help! I usually just browse through the "Unanswered" section and comment on all those haha

Tags
fin issues, hmdt, new tank