Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #1 
Vickytoria3112

Ammonia help....

I set up my tank exactly 1 week ago. Its a 10 gal freshwater. 3 days after I fell upon this site and was reading and realized I needed to do water changes and check params so the tank will cycle safely. I didn't know anything about this till I came here on bettafish. And I'm especially worried since I do have fish in there including my precious betta. On day 5 (of tank setup) I got an API testing kit for ammonia. The master kit was way too expensive. I found a new one cheaper on ebay and waiting for it in the mail. I read the directions and tested the water. It was at 0.25, so I did a 25% water change. Yesterday morning (day 6 of tank setup) the ammonia level was 0.50. So I did 50% water change. Later that day it was reading 0.25. Now this morning, 1 week after setup, (day 7) It's reading again at 0.50.

I think I'm doing more harm than good with frequent water changes. Is there a level of ammonia that is safely allowed? I fear I'm removing any BB that's trying to establish by doing too many frequent water changes.

Can someone clarify this with me and help me out please.

Last edited by Vickytoria3112; 06-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #2 
Vickytoria3112

Oh and here are my stats...

10 gallon tank
Thermometer Yes/79 degrees
Filter Yes/Tetra Whisper PF10 Power Filter (came with tank)
No aeration
Heater Yes/Pre-set
Lives with guppies and tetras

Feeding Omega Buffet Betta Food
Once a day

No live plants
Water changes between 25 - 50%
Added Tetra AquaSafe during initial set-up, and using during water replacement after water changes.

API test kit, today ammonia 0.50

I've been doing water changes between 25 - 50%
Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3 
hopeful fish

The BB does not live in the water. They live mainly in the filter media and some in the gravel. Water changes only set you back if you do a 100% water change, because you remove all the ammonia, but even then it only pauses the cycle because your fish will continue pooping :). It will not kill the BB. Keep doing the water changes, and you fish will be happy! Have you thought about using Tetra Safe Start? I think it is designed for a fish-in cycle.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 
Vickytoria3112

No I haven't tried the tetra safestart only the tetra aquasafe. What's the difference between these two products? Usually how long does it take for a 10gal to become fully cycled?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 
hopeful fish

Tetra Aquasafe is a water conditioner. It removes chlorines and metals from the water. Tetra Safe Start (TSS) is a beneficial bacteria in a bottle. My 10 gal took 2 weeks, but I have live plants. I also did a fishless cycle, so I never did water changes. I think that usually it takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle. TSS will help shorten that time.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote