Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 
Chesterfish

After first water change .......HELP!!!

i did my first water change today, ive had my first betta about a week now. i did a 50 % water change and ever since i put my betta back in he seems sluggish and sad. he has been sitting in the same corner since i put him back into his tank

i have a five gallon tank with a heater and a couple live plants...anyone know what could be wrong?
Chesterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

That's frustrating.

Did you use water conditioner when you added the new water? How is the temperature? Cool water will make a betta sluggish; 76 to 82* is optimal.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
bettafish15

He could be in shock if you put in cold water or hot water, the water you put back in should be within a couple degrees of the tank water. Or maybe you forgot water conditioner... hm.... hopefully he perks up!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
Chesterfish

yea i remebered the water conditioner, and the water was about room temp when i added it but tha was hours ago. so the water should be back to the heaters temp
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

If the water was a different temp than the water he was in, that will be stressful. To properly acclimate, Put him in his cup with old tank water, change the water, then bob him in the tank for 5mins, then add every 5 minutes for at least 5 minutes new tank water to the cup. Once you do, make sure none of the icky water gets back in the tank, or as little as possible.

Failing to do so can cause shock and stress, and no one wants a sad fish!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 
Chesterfish

oops

yea i pored alittle of the water i took out back in two make the water level to what i wanted.....even though i did a 50% percent change so there was still some of the old water in the tank still.... so he will go back to normal???....chester isnt like other betas ive seen he swims all the time!...and hes being very lazy and not like himself...and it scares me alittle ( first pet scare itis i guess :P )
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

I dont think the bit of old water wouldve done much...Just not great to have back in there since its what youre trying to get rid of to begin with! :p

What temp. is the tank? Too hot or cold will cause discomfort and sluggishness, even if its preset or just on in the tank doesnt mean it's a good temp! You need a thermometer too :3

Just keep an eye on him, let him relax, keep the lights low around him to destress.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote