Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 
tfranc

no Poop in 4 days im worried!!

Hi my boy Precioso, has not pooped in 4 days, he is still active but seems irritable since he has decided to start flaring at me sometimes, and when I put my finger above him to play he jumps at it...

What should I give him so he can poop please?

He is in a small container on QT since he got into a fight a few weeks ago, he is floating in the heated tank at 75-79 deg, no filter, 100% water changes everyday, getting him slowly out of the AQ salt treatment and he is still hungry as always.

Thank for your help!
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Does he look bloated? how is his appetite?

If he is still acting his normal self and eating....I wouldn't worry too much unless he is bloated....when will his treatment be over in the aquarium salt...

Sometimes making them flare will stimulate them to poop.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 
tfranc

he looks as chubby as always lol he is still hungry, always responds to feeding time, but since he has not pooped I lowered his food to 1 pellet 3 times a day, morning, evening, night...
His treatment will be over saturday, his fins are still recovering but they seem good, his water every day has cotton like things floating in it but have not affected him at all, nor are they attached to his body or his fins.

Il try to make him flare at his tank nemesis so hopefully he poops :)

Thanks so much!!!!!!! Im so glad you responded Oldfishlady!!

If you have any other advice please let me know, I get worried when something strange happens with him especially since he is the one that has had a rough little life (first massive fin rot at the pet shop, salt and antibiotic treatment here, got into a fight with his tank neighbor, and now he is not pooping when he usually goes like a horse)

once again thanks so much!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
tfranc

its me again, Im a bit more worried, Precioso has a bit of a rounder tummy than usual, it looks a bit bloated, I tried getting him to flare for about 5-10 min today with his neighbor but he still has not pooped. any advice?

Thank you
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You could try a short term Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal for 24-48h and see if that will get him going.....a lot of folks use the green pea or daphnia...you might try that....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #6 
brittney0430

Hi,

A couple of quick questions for you before i attempt my diagnostics.

When did you first get him?
If so, how long ago and have any other fish been in the tank before him?
How much did you feed him before you noticed this?
What do you feed him?
Does he float at the top?
Stay in a corner?
Stay ALWAYS at the bottom?

I am considering swimbladder disease. I know what your thinking, you hear disease and freak out, BUT good news is that its easily treatable. If you are feeding him twice a day or daily and he STILL hasen't pooped, then STOP FEEDING HIM. Swimbladder is a disease that is common to Betta fish. It is caused by waste of other fished, uneaten food sitting at the bottom to rot, OR CONSTIPATION! Syptoms of Swimbladder are sitting at the bottom or the top of the tank or sitting in a corner, no pooping, or if he darts or tries to swim down to get sinking food(or just to swim down) and floats back up involunatarily, or even stress. My Betta, Joe currently has Swimbladder. The good part of this reply, there are many ways to treat it! You can make a Epsom Salt Bath for your Betta: Make sure he/she is quarantined and your not giving the bath to the whole tank. You can also add table salt or aquarium salt from your local pet store to prevent and rid some diseases. You should look further into swimbladder on the internet to see more preventions. Oh and another resolution is FASTING! Try not to feed your Betta for 3-4 days and see if syptoms improve. Trust me, Bettas can last like up to 3 weeks without food he/she wont die from 3-4 days and maybe the food will come out. Keep me informed. :) hope he gets well!
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #7 
brittney0430

Oh and try to avoid brine shrimp and frozen or dried live food. These are very rich and can cause constipation. So stick to BettaBites or grainuels.

PS they dont like flakes :)
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #8 
tfranc

Thank you!!

Thanks so much for your responses, I will also try the pea tonight, I just bought it for him too.

Answer to questions for diagnostic:

When did you first get him? I ve had him for since the end of January
If so, how long ago and have any other fish been in the tank before him? He was transferred into his 10 g tank and had another betta as a neighbor who managed to move the divider and well they got into a fight... so he is quarantined since about 1.5 weeks ago.
How much did you feed him before you noticed this? he would eat 3 pellets 3 times a day just like my other betta.
What do you feed him? he eats aqueon betta pellets.
Does he float at the top? he is still pretty active and jumps to try and get food, even though I am barely feeding him, which is why he gets mad at me.
Stay in a corner? not really, he has always been a quiet and well behaved fish
Stay ALWAYS at the bottom? cant tell since his QT tank is about an inch and a half deep.

I also need to buy epsom salt just to have around.

Thank you for your help :)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #9 
brittney0430

hmm. doesnt sound like swimbladder than. swimbladder can be seen by inactivity or floating or staying at the bottom or if he is floating on his side. Oh and here are ways to prevent/treat some sicknesses. You can:
<LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="11">1 Defrost 1 to 2 frozen peas. The peas must be very soft. If they are not soft enough for a fish to eat, cook them briefly according to the package directions.

<LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="10">2 Gently squeeze the peas to free them from their skins. Discard the skins.

<LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="9">3 Put the skinless peas in the fish tank.

<LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="8">4 Allow the affected fish to eat at least 1 of the 2 peas. If there are healthy fish in the tank, either remove them so that they will not eat the peas, or remove the sick fish into a separate tank and offer the peas there. If the sick fish will not eat the peas, remove the peas and try again later.

<LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="7">5 Withhold other foods until the sick fish eats at least 1 pea.

OR

A epsom salt bath or a table salt bath. To find out how this helps and how much to put in your quarantined jar, take a look at this site- http://www.pondarama.com/html/salt_fix.html

I hope this helps alot. Plus table salt keeps nitrite and nitrate levels down which helps to keep bacterial infections and diseases/conditions.
I hope your Betta lives :)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #10 
brittney0430

ignore these on the pea directions :) <LI class=step itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="7">