Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 
Slipstitch

Future possibilities

So sometime in the future I'm planning on breeding a couple of my bettas. Don't worry, I'm reasearching like crazy and have memorized just about everything I've seen here as well as how to create infusoria, microworms, and vinegar eels, as well as how to time baby brine shrimp well. Of course, any advice you wish to give me will be properly stored in my brain for later usage. However, what this thread is actually about is opinions. My reasons for wanting to are many, partly that I want healthy betta fish that I myself have raised and know everything that's ever happened to them(my recent experiences with pet store fish have me saddened, angry, and now very determined to raise my own happy, healthy, and strong bettas) but also because I would love to see a line started from this pair. The male is a double tail halfmoon with a blackish blue body and fins that have an almost butterfly pattern of blackish blue and cellophane. The female is your average veiltail female, pearl body(with the cutest little black spot on her nose) and fins that look like they've been tye died with blue, green and purple. A pic of the pair is to be included, but her colors aren't showing well in it(the pic was taken just after I got her home). Please, let me know what you think of this pairing, what genetic anything you can point out with it, anything like that. The one thing I'm having issues with is genetics.
Attached Images

Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #2 
Slipstitch

Oh, also, what do you guys think about the possibility of when feeding the fry, dusting the microworms with a highly nutritious powdered betta food and spritzing them with water(so it'll stick) before tossing them into the tank? Has anyone tried it? Could there be possible complications from it? -Any- and all ideas, thoughts, and opinions are completely welcome here, just remember that I'm not going to try breeding RIGHT NOW. This will be something I do once I feel comfortable in my knowledge of Betta behavior, breeding habits, fry needs, aftercare needs, conditioning, and everything else.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 
Slipstitch

Oh, and for the record, her fins do change color pretty regularly. I think this was referred to somewhere as a marbling gene? Not sure. I just know that the blue, green, and purple change their patterns a lot.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
Slipstitch

So... the male I'd intended to breed her to when the time came is showing signs of possible issues. I'm not going to risk future fry until I can be sure it's not a genetic issue and is just some hold over from being kept in a nasty little cup. Instead I'm thinking about breeding her to my double tail veiltail boy, he's a complete cellophane and pretty as all get out(difficult to get pics for him, he's energetic and see through, lol). What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

If her fins change color and you're breeding to either a black BF or cello you will get mostly marbles and BFs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #6 
Slipstitch

That is absolutely awesome... I have a special love for marbles, personally. I really wanted to breed her to Hades because of the butterfly pattern, but with him seeming to have swim bladder issues, I don't really want to risk it, you know? Hopefully herefishyfishyfishy is right and it's just constipation, but I guess only time will tell. Thank you for your response! ^_^ And don't worry, I really am not planning to do this -any- time soon. I want to wait until I have absolutely everything perfect and ready and have as much knowledge on what to do in what situations stuffed into my tiny brain as possible.