Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Question Age Matters... Wait, does it?

Not breeding yet... well... tried. My pair just maybe don't like each other enough, lol.

So I figured more research will help while I continue building up my mass amount of jars and such... because... a lot of babies... |D

But out of the four I have (2 males, 2 females [and one of each sex that I don't want to breed yet :P ]), I was wondering if the older the betta is, does it make them less willing to spawn?
What I mean is...
My (current) breeding male is about... hm... I think about a year old now.
The female is 5 months old.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
Sweeda88

I've read that younger Bettas are better for spawning (around 5-9 months), and that once they get around a year old, they are much less likely to spawn.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #3 
hannah16

I've heard something similar to what Sweeda stated, I've read that you want to breed them between 4-10 months. After the first year, they really won't want to breed.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thanks... I read that too, but I thought I'd try.
And fail, lol.

If this helps: My male was acting very showy to his new girl. At first she flared a bit at him, he'd swim away (lol) and he'd come back... He's very sweet. He only bit her once to get her to stop flaring. After a while, his nest got super HUGE... he built it up so much.

You can imagine what happened in between... her staying hidden or getting chased a bit while he flared and continued to build his nest....

But this morning my female finally decided to be submissive. Her fins were clamped, her head was nose-down... But he flared her away from his bubble nest.
So...
what the heck and well, I quit.
For now.

Thus the age question I asked. |D
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i've heard the older the betta, the more likely there is to be deformities in the spawn. which..... to me, doesn't make sense. bettas in the wild, breed whenever they can. doesn't matter if they're a year, two years, on their last leg of life. they'll breed when they can, if they can. .___o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I have spawned Bettas as old as 3 years of age successfully and didn't have any deformities, health issues or more than one sex over another and I have spawned them as young as 4 months successfully without any issues.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #7 
Luimeril

that makes me feel better. i'd been wanting to spawn my VT, Cup, with a pretty halfmoon girl(he has fins worthy of a Halfmoon, so i figured i could eventually make amazing halfmoons with him), but was told he's too old. he's around..... maybe 2? i've had him almost a year, and who knows how old he was when i got him. i was told he's too old, and it'd be a shame to spawn him, get his fins ripped apart, for nothing because there'd be lots of deformities in the fry. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Most breeders with a line don't breed males over and over... because after they've created the next generation they want to use the newer fish.

However, as long as they're still willing to spawn there's not really any age limit.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As long as males are still making nests/showing they want to spawn, there is no limit (IMO) - my oldest spawn was almost 2 years old. He may be more sluggish (?) and take a longer time compared to the younger guys, but he will spawn.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote