Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #1 
christina

Unhappy I don't know what else to do

I got a crowntail betta, and I shouldn't have because I can't even keep lucky bamboo alive. Now I'm convinced I'm going to kill my fish :/

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? By heater 78, on other corner closer to 75
Does your tank have a filter? Has one, but currently turned off and removed due to fear of stressing betta out more
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, tried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? previously once a day, but he's not eating... so every time he looks more alert and then cleaning it out.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Everyday since put in newest tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% then 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Declorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Unknown (But clean, fresh water)
Nitrite: ""
Nitrate: ""
pH: High, but same as fish is used to
Hardness: Hard water from tap
Alkalinity: unknown, assume high due to high PH and hardness, from my understanding that is correlated to high alkalinity

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fuzziness by gill, curling of fins (Probably hard water), Whiteness around pectoral fin, Can't tell if rest of fins darkened to indicate fin rot, as he has dark blue tips of his red fins. They do not seem to be breaking off, but perhaps getting thinner/duller
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Gets super anxious after any change happens. (Like changing the water... I feel terrible for making him stressed out, but he only seems to be getting worse and I don't know what to do besides make sure he has clean water) Then gets really dull and lifeless, rinks to bottom, floating lifelessly, or just sitting at the surface. Won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A several days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changing water, as my best guess was stress from ammonium (I did not realize about cycling a tank until after he was not acting healthy), or fin rot (Which I was told was from bad water, even though I've, if anything, over changed and cared for his water)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him a week
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably about 9 months old. New from LFS.

Please help me not be a fish killer. :/
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your not a fish killer...stuff happens and if anything happens to him it is most likely due to how he was kept at the pet shop before you got him a week ago......

Did he ever eat for you

Can you post a pic

To understand...he has acted this way (spooky) since you got him or did this start after you added him to the tank? or did it start right after the first water change?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
christina

He ate for me at the beginning... he was also fierce when I first got him. It wasn't until about the 3rd water change that he started acting weird. (I've had him for more than a week- closer ot a week and a half I guess) He'd flare eat and be interactive and everything. He seemed super healthy, which is why I think it was something I did. I'll work on getting a picture... all I have is a webcam, and he's hiding in the corners so I will probably have difficulty getting a decent picture.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Check your dechlorinator and make sure its not expired, shake well before use.... go ahead and make a 50% water change now and use double dose of the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank (5.5gal) and see if that will help...it sound like a response to a contamination from either chlorine, chloramines or other toxic substance...

When you made the water changes was the heater at anytime out of the water and plugged in.....if so, unplug it, let it cool off and remove to check for cracks or if any water is in it...etc.....

If you don't already...always unplug the heater before you make a water change.....not just for the fish but for your safety as well.....good habit to get into.....
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #5 
christina

I did 100% water change about 2 hours ago, using double dose, the dechlorinator was about same time as fish, but has no expiration date. I assume it is good. Per use he got super skiddish and crazy. I keep waiting to see if he'll start acting better, but the moment he stops acting crazy, he just floats near-lifelessly. I did unplug the heater.

*Still trying to get some pictures, Mostly what I'm getting are red-blue blurrs. I am probably out of luck on posting decent pictures.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good that you turned off he filter and unplugged the heater...turn off the light too....if he came in a cup-put him back in it and pre-mix some aquarium salt 1tsp/gal in a jug of fresh dechlorinated water-once dissolved...pour half the water out of the cup or any small container you have him in and slowly add the like temp salt water and repeat until he is in 100% of the salt water....somehow cover the side of this small container...sides and bottom and use some type of lid to cover it as well....your goal is to get him in a dark low stress small space

Do you have a testing kit to test the water?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #7 
christina

No testing kit, if I went out and got a testing kit I would need ones to test ammonium I assume?

With the cup, would it be better to get the cup or a 1 Gallon Bowl?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Personally I would go with the cup....easier to work with and make the needed water changes with the aquarium salt for the next 10 days....

Just checking on the test kit...more for pH...but don't worry about it at this point, however, one day you may want to get a test kit to have on hand to test...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...they are good to have on hand but not a must have...IMO....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 
christina

PH I'm sure is very high, I would guess above 8. That's a guess, but my roommate is a biochemistry major and she says her guess is about 8.5, it's also extreamly hard. I know this is not ideal betta environment.

He's in his little cup, just laying there... but I suppose in the big tank all he was doing was laying there too... so...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #10 
christina

Well he's dead :/ I really want to try again... but I swear he was about as healthy as he could have been when I got him. :/

Do you think I should try again? Or should I not take the life of more fish into my hands?