Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 
kathstew

I definitely feel the same way!
I have a small house, and small bedroom. My parents don't want fish everywhere. I don't have a job, I go to school, I can't drive. I can't afford 20 gallon tanks. I love my fishies, and I think any size tank is better than the cups they'd be living in if I didn't buy them.
Seriously, I adore your fish. They are gorgeous, and look sosososososo happy and healthy! Be proud of yourself for saving your babies!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #12 
wildmagic713

I think anything a gallon or larger is fine- anything smaller than that and your fish just doesn't have room to move.

For beginners, I do think a bit bigger is better- 2.5+ filtered, but no larger than 5. That way they're not swamped with water changes and all. Better for that to happen when they're hooked on the hobby :)

I've got 5 gallons for my fish- one five gallon tank and one ten gallon divided in two (I don't use the 5 gallon hex). However, I bought all of that with my own money that I saved up. I don't really spend my money on much so my fishies get a bunch from me. I don't have a hood for my 10 gallon because I can't afford one, but it's covered and filtered and I do keep it lit with a lamp during the day, so it's not a huge deal.

I think if you're experienced enough, tank size isn't a big deal. Then you know what to do to keep your fish happy in smaller tanks. It's only when you're starting out that I think it really matters.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #13 
Bettaluver4evr

kathstew - awww! Exactly! So many of us can't afford 20 gallon tanks, that's so much weight and space and upkeep! ;) And awwww, thanks sooo much! :D I love my fish, I like to think they are happy! :D
Yes wildmagic713! I agree. I think, ya know, a 1/2 gallon tank is okay for a little while if you can't get anything else in the begginning! But I agree, 1 gallon and up is great! :) And yes again! Beginners IMO shouldn't be handling a 10 gallon tank right away! :) And I've had to save up for EVERYTHING for my fish, and I'm 13! It hasn't been so easy, that's why my tanks aren't very big... :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #14 
wildmagic713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
kathstew - awww! Exactly! So many of us can't afford 20 gallon tanks, that's so much weight and space and upkeep! ;) And awwww, thanks sooo much! :D I love my fish, I like to think they are happy! :D
Yes wildmagic713! I agree. I think, ya know, a 1/2 gallon tank is okay for a little while if you can't get anything else in the begginning! But I agree, 1 gallon and up is great! :) And yes again! Beginners IMO shouldn't be handling a 10 gallon tank right away! :) And I've had to save up for EVERYTHING for my fish, and I'm 13! It hasn't been so easy, that's why my tanks aren't very big... :)
Yeah, I know what you mean- I'm running off an allowance and Christmas money ATM, while attempting to save for a new guitar at the same time.

My dad chipped in half for my first tank and the supplies I bought, so I only paid about $50.

When that one gave up on me (Everything but the tank itself broke- Marineland sent me replacement parts for free), I bought a 10 gallon for $13. Not a ton. But I had everything else I needed already- I got a $20 filter on sale for $10 and it works like a charm (I picked it up months before I got the 10 gallon), etc. etc.

My divider is homemade, so it's cheaper than a store bought one.

It sucks not having money :(

The thing about beginners is, give them something too small and they'll kill their fish, but give them something too big, and they'll kill their fish. Better to go for something medium sized that doesn't require a water change every day, more like twice a week, and go from there.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #15 
Bettaluver4evr

Exactly! And I wish I had hundreds of dollars, I could contribute to my car and college fund, buy some more music and bettas! ;) Wow, good tank deals! Except for the breaking one... oh well. :P
And yes, medium is pretty good for beginners! And I as looking back, just a half gallon tank size can do a big difference! When I was maybe 5 or I got a VT girl betta named Penny. She lived in a 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon bowl for about 1 year! A few years later I got a whiteish VT named Silky, and he lived for 2 years in a 1 gallon tank with an airstone and light. :) Just a little more does a lot. :)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #16 
wildmagic713

Yup :)

Beginners have to slide into the responsibility slowly- they just wouldn't know how to handle changes like that so frequently.

I've only had one Betta, but I had one goldfish for five years straight and we've owned guppies for about seven years so I know enough about tanks and fish to handle the whole situation :)

My dad is always willing to front me some money as long as I'm going to pay him back, and I know I'm very lucky about that.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #17 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww, I love guppies! :) Used to have 3, two sunshine yellow one's named Luna and bubbles and an orange on named Bruce. LOL. They were so great and spunky! :) Yes, that definitely qualifies you for the tanks! :D I'm in a good mood right now, just checked up on Luna and her fins are so big! I don't know what tail type she is, but man, her fins look so huge! ;) And Dumbo's fins just never stop growing, they are inches long! And Bertie looks brilliant too, he's asleep right now... sigh. It's good to know your fishes are healthy! :)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #18 
wildmagic713

I get my two new boys tomorrow- I am SO excited, it's not even funny.

They're cool little fish, but they have taken over their tank. It's like 40 guppies in a 20 gallon, but it's usually about half fry so that number drops a lot- it tends to fluctuate. We take good care of them, proper water changes and all. There's never been ANY sickness in that tank.

Ahh.... Bruce..... That's the name of the boy I like XD
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #19 
Jupiter

Don't feel bad! You obviously care for your fish and you must be doing something right for them to be hapy and healthy! Right now, most of my bettas are in 1/1.5 gallon containers too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #20 
Bettaluver4evr

Hahaha, it was funny because Bruce was the oddball orange one, my brother liked him and named him that... wow, that tank must be fun to sit and watch because of all the movement and color! :) Lucky, 2 new bettas! :D Pleeeease post loads of pictures for us!