Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 
pumpkinspikepie

Fin rot / swimming issue?

I work at a pet store and I brought home our only betta in stock last night because he just isn't looking well. I have one betta of my own but I've had him for maybe two months now and he's never had any problems so I'm kind of new to this. This new guy has a frayed tail with black on the edges, so I suspect fin rot. Does fin rot affect buoyancy, though? He mostly just rests against the corners of the tank I put him in, and every so often I have to kind of guide him up to the surface with a net to help him breathe. It doesn't seem like he can really swim that well unless I make him.

He's in an unheated tank with nothing in it; I put the water level at about six inches so it's a little easier for him to get to the surface. What else can I do for him? I've got to head to class soon but I might be able to stop in to work afterward to pick up fishy medication if there's any recommendations.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

It needs a heater. If your other fish has one, put it in a cup and bob it in the other's tank, try your best to have them not see eachother if possible.

The fish is floating/listing to the side? This sounds like SBD.

Is the fish bloated? If so, stop feeding it for a few days, to allow the belly to recover.

The fin rot issue can be helped by changing the water each day (with dechlorinator) and adding 1tsp/gal of aquarium salt each day for 10 days. You need to do a water change each time you put salt in.

No, fin rot will not cause issues like that...

Pictures, pplease? Also, please answer these questions:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 
pumpkinspikepie

Most of those questions are irrelevant since I stated that I just brought him home from work. He was in a small cup but now he's in two gallons of treated water. The temperature is right around 75 degrees. He's not bloated, and he's not eating, but as I don't work every day I don't know the last time he ate.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Regardless of their irrelevancy, we ask most members to do their best with the questions before posting (as per the sticky right above in this forum) to help us out and get faster results.

Seeing as how he's not bloated, maybe offer him a very very small bit of food. See if he takes it. Refrain from any freeze dried foods.

Try to warm the water a little bit, to keep him comfortable. If you have them to spare, put a plant in there for him to rest on.

Like I said, try the aquarium salt.. As for the floating without bloat Im uncertain. Maybe another member will come by about that. Keep an eye on him and keep him comfortable.

Btw- check with the moderator oldfishlady about the floating, give her a pm.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If he is having buoyancy issues I would go ahead and start Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 2 days...on day 3 increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes for 7 more days....if you have any tannins to add all the better, also cover the top of the small QT floating in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ...hold food for now and when you increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal offer him small frequent feedings....Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) will also help the fin rot as should the frequent water changes....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #6 
pumpkinspikepie

This is what he's doing, just kinda lying on his side there. I'm doing a water change right now, that's why he's in the cup.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

OW, that's some serious rot...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #8 
pumpkinspikepie

I know, I feel so bad for him.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
pumpkinspikepie

I picked up some epsom salt and I'm going to treat him tonight. I just got a heater pad for my other betta's tank and once it heats up in there I'll float the new guy (I haven't given him a name since I don't think I'm going keep him once he improves) in the warmer water too.

My brother-in-law's girlfriend advised to not do water changes for a week o_o so I'll go with your collective advice on this one, because that seems horribly inaccurate...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #10 
pumpkinspikepie

I gave him the epsom bath last night and he's doing a bit better this morning! I watched him swim up to the top for air so that's a good sign, but otherwise he mostly just rests on the bottom as usual. My cats kept coming in the room to look at him so I gave him a cup cave to hide in if he decides he doesn't like all the attention. I did a water change before I left for class today as well.