Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 
Slipstitch

A few questions

Okay, so one: How does one tell the age of a betta fish?

Two: I ended up getting a purple female veiltail last night(courtesy of yet another friend who loves my enthusiasm) and was wondering if betta girls ever get a solid white fringe on their fins as a pattern. I know that sometimes fin rot can be white or white-ish in color, but the white on the edge of her fins is so uniform that I can't help but think it's part of her pattern. All of her fins are tipped in white. Is this fin rot or pattern? I'll probably post this question in diseases if it seems like a needed action, but for now she's acting healthy and happy floating in her quarantine cup in the heated sorority tank(78 degrees farenheit) and she seems to absolutely love not being in that evil blue water anymore. Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated on that.

Three: I have a ton of little pots and such in the sorority tank that are upright at the moment. The girls seem to like floating down into them, but a couple still have stress lines(only 2 out of 7), should I turn the pots on their sides for hidey holes or leave them be? There's no traces of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, or chloramine in the tank, the ph is 7.0, the water temp is as stated above at 78 degrees, it's a spacious tank with lucky bamboo(did you know it isn't really bamboo?) and 2 pieces of drift wood in it. Any ideas about why these two girls are acting happy and healthy like the rest but displaying stress lines? Should I remove them and put them in one of the 10 gallons to see if they do better with less other fish?

4. Is it normal for bettas to dig? My girls seem to enjoy turning their seashells into jungle gyms, digging under them and then swimming free.

5. When betta fins are growing out either from just them growing up or from their fins being damaged, are the edges usually kind of clear but darkish? It doesn't really look like fin rot... It's like a very thin, almost clear, same color as the fish, edging to Tinker's fins... His fins have been getting bigger and I noticed those edges and wondered if it was normal, if it was how fins normally look when they're growing out, and if it is if it was a byproduct of his fins being short due to damage or he just wasn't fully grown yet. He was sold to me as a female plakat betta, but watching him and his behaviors with the girls and after a close inspection for an egg spot has told me he's totally a boy. His fins are also starting to grow rays like a crown tail... This little guy is totally confusing me, lol. First it was a female, then a male plakat, now a male crowntail... I'm not sure even -he- knows his identity anymore!

Sorry for the tons of questions, but they've been on my mind and I'm hoping to get some good answers. Thank you! ^_^
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

1) You can never really tell the age of a betta! Most pet store bettas are between 6 months to 1 year of age, but sometimes you get bettas that are really tiny... that could mean they are much younger or just small bettas! So it's almost impossible to tell.
2) Your female sounds gorgeous! It'd help to see a picture of the pattern, but what your describing sounds like a butterfly pattern. It's just a lovely white edging to her caudal, anal and dorsal fins. It's really rather pretty! But without a picture it's hard to be sure.
3) Are the stripes vertical or horizontal? Stress bars are horizontal while breeding bars are vertical, I believe. Just because the females have them doesn't mean they are sick! Keep a close eye on them anyway, but it sounds to me like they are just nervous in their new home. :)
4) Female bettas are very quirky! They do all kinds of crazy and amusing things. IMO they are much smarter than male bettas, (teehee) and need more things to do, more activities. My female enjoys darting around the tank, playing in the filters current, and watching me. She also plays games! And now her new hobby is to swim really hard into the filters current and then dart into the filter slot! Don't worry, I always get her out immediately, but it's kind of scary! But there's water in there and she can get out on her own, so... yes, girls are nuts. LOL.
5) It could be finrot, but it also sounds like a pattern to me. Some bettas have gorgeous dark edging that is just part of their coloring! But, I'd need some pictures as well! Sorry, but it just rules out fin rot much more quickly. :)
I hope this was helpful! :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #3 
Slipstitch

I'll actually be taking a bunch of pics today. Going to be putting all the girls into their quarantine cups for a thourough water change and some cleaning and rearranging of the tank and some up close viewing to check how their health is coming, so you'll totally get your pics ^_^ The bars are horizontal, which is pretty much why I'm a little worried. If I'm correct, the tank has been set up for a little over a week with them in it(obsessively checking every kind of level of everything that I can, lol) and they're still stressy girls. Oh, have you ever had a betta that from a bird's eye view was emerald green but from a straight on look was a dark purple? She's kind of an enigma for me, lol, not sure how on earth that works at all! I think she's playing tricks.

I absolutely adore my sorority tank. My betta girls are so spunky and energetic and love playing. The smallest one, Artemis, seems to be a little bigger now than when I got her, but still insanely smaller than the rest of the girls and she gives as good as she gets, lol. Watching her chase the bigger females around the tank is hilarious! And I know she's only teasing them, she's the fastest swimmer in there! She could easily catch a bigger girl if she felt aggressive, lol.

Anyway, aside from my babble, thank you for responding! ^_^
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 
Slipstitch

Oh, if anyone has any idea how I can make a ball(or 8) that will float in the water but not sink or actually float so my betta girls can play with it, please let me know. I'd love to give them toys to bat around!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Wow, your tank sounds great, and your bettas sound so gorgeous! :D Just a little light can do amazing things to a bettas colors! My HM bettas scales do that, in normal room light they look green, but in sunlight or fluorescent light, they are definitely purple! It's very cool.
I am not familiar with betta toys! Haha. Hmmm... ping pong balls maybe? They'll float and are nice and light for 'playing', haha. But I really have no idea! ;)
Your girls sound gorgeous! :)
Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #6 
Slipstitch

Thank you, I'm so proud of them! You can see some of their pics in my albums. Hera is the one that when I'm ready to breed my girls will be the first. Her coloring just demands it! I think the term for her is "marbled". Her fins are constantly changing colors and patterns while her body remains pearled. Ack, I could babble all day about my fish(much to the annoyance of my friends, lol). All my girls are such pretty creatures, my boys are just as beautiful... Someday I will breed a pair, but that's a while off. I've been considering doing betta breeding in St. Louis as there don't seem to be any breeders here and the closest I've heard of is Wisconsin.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww, that's great, I will definitely check your album! You can check mine out too, just started a whole new album for my CT and my VT girl, Luna. Next album's for my VT boy... hope you like 'em! And I wish I had a friend who loved these fish as much as I do, I could talk about them for hours! :D
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #8 
Slipstitch

I really need someone that'll be active in a convo about breeding with me. I'm trying to decide pairs as I've recently decided not to breed my halfmoon double tail male but can't get anyone to actually be like "Oh, this would make lovely spawn! I think he might be too submissive/agressive, are you sure she's a female?" with me, lol
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Aww! Well, I am not the right girl to talk to! Sorry! That is something I know nooooothing about, breeding. I do tanks, illnesses, food, medicine, pictures, encouragement, etc... breeding, I know nothing! But I wish you the best of luck, I like that Hera girl! ;) I see you like greek mythology, I loooove it! Have loads of books about it, it fascinates me and the names are amazing! I want my next boy to be named Apollo.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #10 
Slipstitch

I absolutely love the current theme. Greek mythology is amazing! I really wanted to get some "ruins" for the tanks, but couldn't find any I'd trust with their delicate fins. Honestly, it's not someone who knows a bunch about breeding that I'm dying to converse with rather than someone who will look at the fish and be like "Oh, these two could make some really beautiful fry!" and such like that. I had considered breeding Hera to my halfmoon double tail male, but he's acting not good... I think his swim bladder might be messed up.. He isn't really showing signs of parasites or fungal infections so much as swimming all messed up like and it's only getting worse. I'm not sure what to do with the little guy... But if it's a swim bladder issue, I don't wanna chance it being genetic and getting passed on to the fry.