Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #21 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasForever View Post
Anyone wanna answer my question (or contribute)?
I've answered all your questions
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #22 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Yep, they enjoy algea tabs and shrimp pellets, but they are mostly herbivorous. A full grown one may kill a guppy, but only if it is very hungry, or it doesn't have sufficient hiding. When molting they are very vulnerable, and the guppies could injure it, provoking an aggressive response. So long as you care for them properly it should be fine. I am selling some once mine clone themselves so you could buy one from me, there are tons of AB sellers as well.
Well DARN - I already ordered one from Planted Aquariums Central. If I had know you had some to sell, I would have gotten one from you - SORRY!

In any event, I am REALLY excited and can't WAIT to get Ms. Marbles!

One more thing - there is a female betta in that tank with the guppies right now. Is that ok or should I move her?

I have a decent sized piece of driftwood in that tank with some java moss & java fern on it. Will she eat that or should I move it to a different tank?

How about acclimation? Like a fish or something different?

I just can't thank you enough for all your help - so THANKS again!

Last edited by Lion Mom; 03-13-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #23 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Well DARN - I already ordered one from Planted Aquariums Central. If I had know you had some to sell, I would have gotten one from you - SORRY!

In any event, I am REALLY excited and can't WAIT to get Ms. Marbles!

One more thing - there is a female betta in that tank with the guppies right now. Is that ok or should I move her?

I have a decent sized piece of driftwood in that tank with some java moss & java fern on it. Will she eat that or should I move it to a different tank?

How about acclimation? Like a fish or something different?

I just can't thank you enough for all your help - so THANKS again!
The betta may disturb her, in which case she will wave her claws, but no harm will be done. Bettas learn quick, my marbled cray got angry at my betta and my betta never attacked him again! My crayfish gives food to the betta to distract him during feeding time! Acclimate them the same way, and they shouldn't bother the moss. I hear they love hiding in it. Just make sure you have hiding space, as the female betta will attempt to kill her during her molt....everyone loves crayfish...... You may not see her for a while at first though. I just moved one of my crays to a ten gallon and haven't seen him all day. They take a while to get settled in.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #24 
Lion Mom

Quote:
The betta may disturb her, in which case she will wave her claws, but no harm will be done. Bettas learn quick, my marbled cray got angry at my betta and my betta never attacked him again! My crayfish gives food to the betta to distract him during feeding time! Acclimate them the same way, and they shouldn't bother the moss. I hear they love hiding in it. Just make sure you have hiding space, as the female betta will attempt to kill her during her molt....everyone loves crayfish...... You may not see her for a while at first though. I just moved one of my crays to a ten gallon and haven't seen him all day. They take a while to get settled in.
Hmmmm.... I may just go ahead & move Trixie (the female betta) since she IS a hooligan and has already killed the two smallest guppies in that tank.

What about temp? What is the ideal? I have been keeping that tank at approx. 80 since there is a betta in it, but is that too warm for Ms. Marbles?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #25 
shinybetta

Quote:
Hmmmm.... I may just go ahead & move Trixie (the female betta) since she IS a hooligan and has already killed the two smallest guppies in that tank.

What about temp? What is the ideal? I have been keeping that tank at approx. 80 since there is a betta in it, but is that too warm for Ms. Marbles?
Oh, they can go from freezing to 140 degrees farenheit, 65-80 is ideal.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #26 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Oh, they can go from freezing to 140 degrees farenheit, 65-80 is ideal.
Sounds GREAT!!!

Are they escape artists? I am planing on replacing the power filter with an internal filter so I can put a glass top on the tank to close it off. Will be doing a large water change on the tank Tuesday & get that stuff switched around.

The algae tabs I am planning on using are the Tetra Algae & Veggie tabs I use on my other "night crew" fish. Sure hope she likes them!

SO excited!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #27 
shinybetta

Quote:
Sounds GREAT!!!

Are they escape artists? I am planing on replacing the power filter with an internal filter so I can put a glass top on the tank to close it off. Will be doing a large water change on the tank Tuesday & get that stuff switched around.

The algae tabs I am planning on using are the Tetra Algae & Veggie tabs I use on my other "night crew" fish. Sure hope she likes them!

SO excited!!!
Yeah, they love escaping. Good thing is if their gills are wet they can stay out of water for a very long time. If she does get out leave bowls of water around and she will possibly find them and re-wet herself. Forgot to mention, it's a good thing you didn't order from me. I won't have any available in 2 months.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #28 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Yeah, they love escaping. Good thing is if their gills are wet they can stay out of water for a very long time. If she does get out leave bowls of water around and she will possibly find them and re-wet herself. Forgot to mention, it's a good thing you didn't order from me. I won't have any available in 2 months.
Well, now I don't feel so bad.

The glass top I will put on that tank is actually for a 20 gal. tank so it will cover the entire top so no escaping for HER!!!

One last question about something I'm not really clear on. Are they nocturnal? Do I put in the algae/veggie tab after lights out or in the morning?

Thank you SO much for all your help!!! Heard from Heather already this morning & Ms. Marbles is on her way - can't WAIT!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #29 
shinybetta

Quote:
Well, now I don't feel so bad.

The glass top I will put on that tank is actually for a 20 gal. tank so it will cover the entire top so no escaping for HER!!!

One last question about something I'm not really clear on. Are they nocturnal? Do I put in the algae/veggie tab after lights out or in the morning?

Thank you SO much for all your help!!! Heard from Heather already this morning & Ms. Marbles is on her way - can't WAIT!!!
They are nocturnal, but they will eventually learn to come out in the day if that is when you feed them. Mine will eat whenever, they aren't very picky, but they will do any renovating of your tank at night.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #30 
Lion Mom

Quote:
They are nocturnal, but they will eventually learn to come out in the day if that is when you feed them. Mine will eat whenever, they aren't very picky, but they will do any renovating of your tank at night.
OK - good to know. I moved Trixie the renegade female out of the tank so there are only some guppies in there now. I have three hunks of driftwood in there, a clay pot and a "never saw oil" oil burner with the open back. Hope that's enough hiding spots to make Ms. Marbles comfy!