Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

How long should I wait?

I just got my two new Bettas for my divided tank (:D One solid red double tail and a royal blue and white butterfly delta), and while purchasing Mister Fishy II from my LFS (The red DT), I bought frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms, which are currently residing in my freezer.

How long should I wait till I offer them food? I heard wait a day, so I figured wait till tomorrow, but any advice?

They're acclimating right now :) So happy :)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

Anybodyyyyyyyy?

They're swimming around and seem very happy even though they're only in 1 gallon QTs ATM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I have never waited. I'm not sure if that is the best thing to do though.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #4 
wildmagic713

They've been home for about two and a half hours so I gave it a try and defrosted a little bit of a cube of bloodworms- they were nice and red which I took to be good because I've heard that's what you want in frozen ones.

I used a spoon and took them out of the container (dissolved them in tank water) and offered one to each of them and Azul had to think about it a bit, but he was from PetCo and I'm going to assume not fed that often, but he devoured it after he figured out what it was, and Mister Fishy II snatched his up right when I put it in the tank (He's from my LFS).

I offered them both another smaller one each and they both took it immediately :) It made me very happy.

I'm leaving it at that for today, but it's nice to know they're comfortable enough to eat, and not stressing. Mister Fishy II was hungry in his bag- there were a few little pieces of one of his live plants from the store floating at the top and he would go and try to eat them and then spit them out when he realized they weren't food.

:)
Old 03-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

Cool glad to hear their doing fine!

I never wait also, I just offer food and if they take it good and if they don't well though! (I'm all about though love with my animal's)
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 
shadowsbiker

There is no harm in trying to offer food. All you have to do is give them some time to explore their surroundings and then you can offer a little food. If they don't eat it after a few minutes just remove it from the tank.
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #7 
Cravenne

Glad to hear they ate!

I don't wait to offer food either..if they don't eat, I remove the food but otherwise...eat up!!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

I don't usually wait either. Since I purchase my bettas from AquaBid, I know they haven't eaten for a few days. I get them in the morning, acclimate them then leave them alone till about 2:00pm to settle in & explore. At that time, I offer them a small feeding. Have only ever had one not eat right away, but he ate the next morning. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #9 
denaliwind

Lol, another here that doesn't wait. XD
Good luck with your new little ones! Sounds like they're adjusting quite well.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
wildmagic713

I'm *slightly* worried about Azul- not so much about Mister Fishy II because I know he was taken really good care of at my LFS. Azul on the other hand, being a PetCo Betta, makes me slightly worried.

It's not that he's showing anything to make me worried, I'm just concerned he may be sick.