Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1 
BettaLover79

Betta 2.42Litre tank friends?

Ok guys,I was wondering if I could but any fish in with this tank. (I could possibly buy a heater) Please give me the awnsers.
Peace out!
BettaLover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Google tells me that 2.4 liters is about 0.6 gallons, which is too small for one betta, not to mention adding anything else. 1 gallon for a betta is the suggested minimum tank size, and some people (like me, lol :P) suggest 2 gallons minimum tank size.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 
BettaLover79

Sorry I ment 3 Litre tank
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 
TaylorW

I think that's still to small for one betta... not to mention adding more fish...

3 liters = 0.792516157 US gallons, or so Google tells me :)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #5 
BettaLover79

Cool

Dude he swims and hides easily and I threw the box out.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover79 View Post
Dude he swims and hides easily and I threw the box out.
Lol, it's a little late to take that tank back to the store now! :P Or if you have the receipt you might still be able to get your money back! :) Maybe you could try to find your betta a better home, I'm sure he'd be much happier :)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Ten gallons is the smallest size you can keep other fish in. If you wanted shrimp and/or snails with your betta, a five gallon would suffice. You could potentially do a shrimp or two with a betta in a 2.5 gallon, but it is likelier that the betta would kill the shrimp since there isn't as much space to hide. You cannot keep anything with a betta in a 2 gallon or smaller, and like TaylorW said, anything less than 1 gallon is really not recommended for a betta.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #8 
Abby

stop guys come on. MANY members have SMALL tanks and they are fine.
you wont fit any mates in with him but my opinion is if you can upkeep the small tank i dont see the issue. if thats the only tank you have or can get then thats all you can do. Bettalover79 where are you located? I ask cause you say liters im in australia we use liters here, you can always find cheap tanks online :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #9 
Abby

my QT tanks are *runs to google for the conversion* my qt tanks are 4 liters to the brim, i dont fill them all the way i leave an inch or so at top because i have to move them around a bit, 4 liters is
1.05668821 US gallons

MY fish love this size, Nero went through a depression when i moved him. my HOSPITAL tank is even smaller and i had that divided on the angle for like two weeks with Benny and Melvin in it and they were SO happy.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
my QT tanks are *runs to google for the conversion* my qt tanks are 4 liters to the brim, i dont fill them all the way i leave an inch or so at top because i have to move them around a bit, 4 liters is
1.05668821 US gallons

MY fish love this size, Nero went through a depression when i moved him. my HOSPITAL tank is even smaller and i had that divided on the angle for like two weeks with Benny and Melvin in it and they were SO happy.
Abby, I am sorry, I didn't mean to start anything or offend anyone, so please don't jump all over me or anyone else... If you can maintain a tank less than a one gallon, that's great. I just know that I couldn't deal with the frequent water changes or finding a small enough heater and all that. I recommended 1-2 gallons because it's just easier.

I did not and do not intend to be rude/unhelpful to the original poster by saying that I thought the tank was too small... So I apologize to BettaLover79 if I came off as rude.