Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 
demonr6

New plant QT

I picked up some really nice plants at a local aquarium store, well local being 45 minutes away but anyway.. I know they should be put into QT before introducing them into my ecosystems. What all is a safe method to go about this? I rinsed them well and have them in a bucket of water at the moment.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #2 
Alex09

I never bothered QT any of my plants. What kind of plants are they? If they are tough plants such as java ferns and anubias you can give them a bath in a bleach solution if you are really paranoid about parasites and such.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

When I get new plants I put them in a bucket of tepid, untreated tap water overnight. I figure the chlorine will kill off anything I don't want & it doesn't bother the plants themselves. Of course, I almost always purchase my plants from Heather in AZ & don't have any experience with Petco, PetSmart, etc.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 
demonr6

I actually found a real dedicated to fish only store. Really nice setup. They have both fresh and saltwater fish and a really nice selection of plants. Speaking to the owner he keeps plants mainly for non CO2 affairs. I picked up red & green crypts and this really neat looking onion plant. I have javas and anubias in both tanks and wanted to get some more aquatic types since PetSmart and Petco sell mostly semi-aquatic and they always look awful at the store.

I had sent an email to one of the websites for help choosing a package, she got back to me and I told her what my tank setup was like and she never replied back so I said to heck with it and found a local.

Central Florida people rejoice, no need to buy online, buy local and support your neighborhood fish store!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #5 
Cravenne

I'm guilty of not qting plants as well. I don't even recall the last time I rinsed a plant, actually.
The store I purchase from has very nice looking plant tanks, it's close by so the water params are the same and I'm not opposed to a few snaily hitchhikers should they be hiding somewhere.

That said..a good rinse would be sufficient IMO...especially if you've seen where they came from.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
I actually found a real dedicated to fish only store. Really nice setup. They have both fresh and saltwater fish and a really nice selection of plants. Speaking to the owner he keeps plants mainly for non CO2 affairs. I picked up red & green crypts and this really neat looking onion plant. I have javas and anubias in both tanks and wanted to get some more aquatic types since PetSmart and Petco sell mostly semi-aquatic and they always look awful at the store.

I had sent an email to one of the websites for help choosing a package, she got back to me and I told her what my tank setup was like and she never replied back so I said to heck with it and found a local.

Central Florida people rejoice, no need to buy online, buy local and support your neighborhood fish store!
I'm in central Fl.!
I need a new fish store to visit!
tell me where tell me where!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #7 
Malvolti

What I do is fill a bowl or sink with cold chlorinated tap water. Put the plants in it and let them sit for a little while. Go back and swish the around in the water to make things (read snails) fall off them. Then I usually go through leaf by leaf and do a visual inspection for snails.

After that kill the snails, dump the water and rinse them under some warm water. Then I plant them.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #8 
demonr6

More or less that is what I have done. I added a capful of bleach into a large bucket of water and floated the plants in there for a few hours after rinsing them. This evening I rinsed them more thoroughly then in a separate bucket transferred the plants into cold tap water and I am letting them sit overnight. Tomorrow I will run them again under tap water and float them in a fresh bucket before planting them.

I do not want to be overly paranoid but I have two rather well established tanks that I do not want going sideways by introducing something unwanted. Now the LFS I bought this from has his plants in a crystal clear tank, filtered with a nice setup and I am sure it is really good but I did see some snails here and there. That is really my main concern, a colony of tiny unwanted snails suddenly starts taking over.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #9 
Cravenne

Sounds perfect :)

We'd like some pics!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #10 
demonr6

Getting them this morning! :)