Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #11 
fishmansam

YES i cant get a bigger tank my parents wont let me
fishmansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #12 
laughing

I own 5 balloon mollies. Yes, they CAN be aggressive. One of my males loves to harass other fish and picked on my angelfish really badly. He also loves to beat up my other male mollie, but that second male is the SWEETEST thing ever.

Mollies do love to be schooled together, and need to be with others around their size due to the aggressiveness of some. 3 is a small amount unless you have 1 male and 2 females. If you do, then you'll be good! If they're JUST for show (you don't want to breed them or anything) the 1 inch to 1 gallon rule fits well. Mollies usually get to be about 2-3 inches, so for those 3 mollies you'll need about a 7-10 gallon.

The betta most likely won't do well with the mollies in the end. Unless you're willing to graduate to a 20 gallon with about 5 mollies (like myself) and all of the mollies are very calm and not fin-nipping brats (like my one male LOL).

My suggestion? Keep them all! Buy a 10 gallon from the store, PetSmart sells them for $12. A filter from WalMart is $10. Seran wrap the top of that thing! Then put the mollies in there with a couple others (general rule for mollies is 2-3 females per male so the harassing gets shared and not focused on one). Then use the 5 gallon you have for your betta! You could even split the tank in half and get a second betta ;)

I have no idea about Chinese Algae Eaters... But if that's true, I'd get rid of him!! o.0
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

But you can't have the algae eater with the Betta. It will eventually kill the Betta. Either you need to find a new home for the Betta, or a new one for the algae eater. They are NOT compatible under any circumstances.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #14 
fishmansam

hum ill give the chinese algae eater to my dad and ill buy a ten gallon for the mollies thanks for the tips laughing
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #15 
fishmansam

is there any kind of algae eater for a ten gallon
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #16 
bettafish15

No fish truely eats algae, just clean the tank when it appears along with your weekly water changes. :) But snails can help, I hear.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #17 
fishmansam

thx bettafish15
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #18 
laughing

Snails do help, I don't ever have algae, and I don't know if it's because I have a good filter, or water change every week-week and a half, but I do have two snails (well, one, my other just died!) and never have had a spot of algae!

Snails are like $1-$2 even at places like PetSmart, plus they always have a large variety of colors and designs on their snails. I think I would drop in and get one or two if I were you.

Good luck! :D

(And you're welcome!)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #19 
JackisLost

Saimese Algae Eaters (SAE) are what I keep in my 14gallon planted tank. They look very similar to Chinese algae eaters and sometimes Chinese gets mislabeled as SAE's. SAE's are peaceful algae grazing fish that don't get bigger than 2-2.5 inches I think
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote