Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Sand?

Ugh, I am really tempted to try some sand in my 2.5 gallon MiniBow. I just have my lil girlie betta in there, Luna. I have some gravel right now, but I don't know if I like how it looks now? I'd really like some nice, cheap white sand. I think that'll look great with my decor. (1 spongebob cave, 1 red silk plant, 1 green silk plant, and 1 green plastic plant.) Does anyone know if Petco or Petsmart carries very cheap white sand? I really want to try this! Or is it a bad idea? I don't know, but I'd really like to try... gravel is so messy!
Also, I don't know if it matters, but I have a heater and filter in the tank... filter's really gentle, it shouldn't disturb the sand right?
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Petco and petsmart both have sand. I got my white sand from petco..it cost about 5-6 dollars. Playsand works well too, it just needs to be rinsed a little longer and it is not as white (which i like). I have playsand in my 10 gallon. It was 2 dollars for a huuuuge bag of it.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

What's playsand? Haha. And that sounds okay, just have to get a few extra dollars! :)
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Just make sure it's not the sand that has a bunch of additives, like the ones used for salt water tanks and such. Good old plain sand will do the trick. I love the look of sand, I used it for a while in my tanks, but have since renovated because it seemed like a fun thing to do. :P
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay, I'll make sure it's plain ole sand! I won't be able to get some until tuesday at the earliest, and that includes convincing my dad! Hehe. I sure hope I can get some though.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 
laughing

Does anyone know how to calculate how much sand you need? I would hate to over-buy... I've been wondering this and you guys seem helpful!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Well, the rule for gravel is one pound per gallon of water... I think the rule is the same for sand? :) I'm not sure though! :) I sure hope I can get some. Easier to clean = brilliant for me! :D
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #8 
laughing

Hmm.. if so then I have full substrate for 4 bucks! :D I'm happy!

It really is easier. I haven't used it yet but gravel is so terrible to me... My options were more stone like substrate or sand and I think the sand is gorgeous. Plus, my gravel STICKS TO EVERYTHING!!!! >.<
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

I used this sand in my 5 gallon.
http://www.petco.com/product/111911/...avelSubstrates

The playsand I found at home depot I believe.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Thanks so much Little Bitty Fishy! :) I really hope I can get some, I really like the look of sand! :)
Laughing: I've never really had a problem with gravel, ya know? But I really want to try something new, and sand looks gorgeous and I think it will look brilliant with my decor and tank and tank light. :) I sure hope I can get some! :D