Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Can I use these?

So, I got my two new Bettas today. They're currently in QT where they will stay for a while just so I can make sure they aren't ill.

I looked while I was out for hidey holes but most of what I saw was around $10-$20 and I just didn't want to do that.

Downstairs in a bin we have a couple of old log things from my brother's leopard gecko.

He hasn't used them in ages, and two of them aren't real wood, one is. I was wondering, if I gave them a soak in hot water and rinsed them REALLY well, if I could use them in my tanks.

So do you think I could?

They're really nice and I was going over them and didn't see anything that would injure either of my boy's fins.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

Anyone?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 
LittleNibbles93

I don't see why not, but then, I'm not sure about alot of things about bettas yet. I saw a really nice copper-color mug today (it was glass), it was cracked though and had been glued back together, I would have gotten it but I wasn't sure if the glue would do anything to the water (it would have looked pretty in a orange, brown and yellow, or blue theme)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 
gmd1800

I would advise making sure that the wood doesn't have any rough patches that could rip your fish's fins. The best way to do this is the pantyhose test. Get some pantyhose and run it over the thing you want to put in the tank. If it snags, the thing could tear fins.

Someone else might have a better suggestion, though!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5 
wildmagic713

Alright- I'll check them, but as far as I could tell when I was handling them there's nothing that would do damage to fins.

I'll just need to give them a really good soak and a number of rinses in hot water.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #6 
Cravenne

I would think it would be ok, but not everything can be submerged under water long term.

If you can identify the manufacturer of the products, a quick email sent to them would help you out. You'll get a response fairly quickly and they can advise you if it's suitable for aquariums or not..
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote