Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 
brittney0430

Unhappy Help joe!

I got a Betta fish like 1-1.5 months ago.
Joe is not a normal Betta. Im not sure what type exactly but his tail isnt really long and he isnt very big(maybe a mini?)
Joe does not swim around. He only seems to want to sit at the top and perimeter of his 1 gallon tank to himself. He was fine the first day I brought him home from PetWorld and he swam at the bottom and ate ALOT of food! Ever since that day, he rarely eats or swims around.
He tries to eat and chase the food that sinks but he floats back up.
He does NOT float sideways like swimbladder but floats involunatarily?
HELP?!

I feed him: HBH BettaBites.
Plants in tank? I just added them today and just cleaned his tank today. Only a 75 % change and I got the Siphon Vacuumm tank/gravel cleaner thingy out and cleaned it.

Please help will add a picture in a minute. I am currenty fasting him. This is his 3rd day into it and no improvement!
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

How often do you change his water, and does he have a heater? What temperature is his tank? He could be cold. Bettas are often sluggish when they're cold.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #3 
brittney0430

I change it every 1 to 1 and a half weeks. He is the only fish in there so I felt it didn't need changing that much but when i do change its a 75% change with the Siphon Vacuumm gravel/tank cleaner. And i honestly dont know the temperature of the water.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #4 
brittney0430

No heater, its about average temperature every time i check with my finger :)
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

That's probably his problem.

Owning a betta isn't quite as easy as some people would have you believe. :) To be really happy, they need to have water that is around 78-80 degrees, which almost always means they need a heater. Additionally, I would recommend getting your fish a bigger tank. Lots of people hate to hear that, but it really is the best way to control water quality. In a 1 gallon tank, you would have to change the water every other day to keep the water clean and your fish healthy. Otherwise he will be more prone to infection/disease. If you can keep up with the water changes in the 1 gallon, he'll be fine, but I personally like to minimize work, so my betta is in a five gallon planted tank. I only have to change water once a week, and I could probably go longer if I had the guts. :)

In short, you need a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater.

If you're on a budget, Kritter Keepers are really cheap and can be used as tanks. Not quite as spiffy looking as a glass tank, but perfectly functional. Heaters are sometimes expensive, but it's a necessary evil. The best prices in my area are from Pet Supplies Plus.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #6 
brittney0430

Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #7 
gmd1800

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Try to answer all these questions and we might be able to help you more. It's best to get a thermometer so you can check his water temperature more accurately. "Average" doesn't help much. My average room temperature is about 58 (my heater broke), but my fish's water is approximately 78-80 degrees. He also needs a water change more than one to one and a half weeks, especially in such a small tank.

Fish excrete ammonia from their gills, and if the water isn't changed, the ammonia can start burning the fish.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I want to make sure your fish gets the best help it can.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #8 
laughing

A finger is not accurate. Trust me, I'll feel water and be like "WHOA! This is COLD!" and it'll be 85*. Human senses aren't as evolved as you think!

A thermometer is EVERYTHING. I never purchased one, I used a small one we used for cooking. Cleaned it, and have used it ever since. I simply submerse it every few hours (I'm paranoid) and hold it in for a few minutes to make sure it's correctly reading, then remove it. $0. Other thermometers are extremely cheap, $2 will often get you a good one.

Heaters ARE very important to tropical fish. The only reason I don't have one is because it's HOT where I live, even in the winter. I'm more worried about the fish over heating than I am about them being cold LOL. You can find small ones of these for $10.

I would highly suggest testing your water (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH), finding out the real temperature of your water, and then adjusting from there.

Good luck with your fish!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 
brittney0430

go to this site to see Joe http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...162480&theater
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #10 
brittney0430

Well I live in Texas right off of Houston and it is always humid and hot here. My house is kept at 75-78 degrees every day, never changed. And I live upstairs where its hot. I bought BettaFix today which is supposed to "Heal damaged fin/skin(which is not the problem) and also its supposed to prevent some bacterial infections. I honestly don't know the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia levels in the tank. ( i know i sound like a bad owner :( ). But I do add the conditioner before I put Joe back in the tank after cleaning 75% of it.