Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #1 
TaraJets

Unhappy Fin rot? possibly?

My betta fish's fins are having some definite issues. When I first got him which was about a month and a half ago it looked like he was recovering from fin rot. Now his fins are tattered and discolored at the ends. Some are "curly" on the end and his caudal fin just has a huge chunk out of it. There is no blackness on the tips of the fins which throws me off... I've never witnessed him tail biting either. I'm sorry I can't get any pictures right now. He started to dart around the tank and have a panic attack when I put the camera up to the glass (or acrylic I should say).

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 g
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one african dwarf frog

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 4-6 frozen bloodworms and sometimes he steals the frog's pellets, I also feed him the betta pellets from top fin but he refuses them (spoiled little boy :))
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?AmQuel plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no I knowww that's not good... If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tattered fins: curly on the ends of some, tattered bits in the middle, a chunk missing, one long hangy fin below it's face is very short
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't really changed, still blows a bubble nest daily. except freaking out at the camera, he usually doesn't do that
When did you start noticing the symptoms? probably a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I just put a little bit of aquarium salt in there
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Seems like he used to have fin rot at some point before I got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? um, maybe 7 months to a year?

Thank you for any help! and a side question: would the aquarium salt hurt the african dwarf frog?
TaraJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 
TaraJets

I'm sorry...

I had to bump this, he seems stressed and hasn't blown a bubble nest like he usually does. I'm afraid of this getting worse. ANYthing will help.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #3 
cjayBetta

I dont think its a good idea to have the salt in there with the frog. My Crowntail had a bit of fin rot when I bought him and I put him on a 10day Aquasalt treatment.

What you do is remove the Betta from his 2.5 and place him in a smaller cup and attach it to the side of his tank so it floats in the water but does not sink. (You would have the salt water in the cup) then using premade salt water change is water 100% everyday for 10 days.

Also I would fast him for 3-4 days and then offer him pellets at the end of the fast. Bloodworms are not a healthy diet for a betta... It like giving a kid candy for lunch and supper all the time.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #4 
Delayna

so Ive been having this same problem, Ive had my fish for about 2 months and one fin looks like its completely almost gone and the other following behind it. I fed him pellets once a day, just a few. Until I dropped them all in the sink when changing his water yesterday, so I had back up flakes. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank with filter. He is my daughters fish and Im so upset if you kicks over, it would break her little heart. Today he just looks like he hanging out at the bottom of the tank waiting to die or something, at first I though he was dead.
I would try anything at this point now, and am interested in the salt water in a small container on the side of the tank.
Questions:
What kind of salt and how much per oz of water?
Where can I get this salt?
Should I premake all the water for the ten days and let it be room temp before putting the fish in it?
Delayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 
cjayBetta

Aquarium salt
you can get it at walmart or your local petshop
you can pre-make it a day in advance or do enough water for the 10 days if youd like.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
TaraJets

Thank you so much!

I was hesitant to remove him from his tank because he gets so mad and starts having more panic attacks but I think the cup idea will work without getting him too stressed out. I hope his fins return to normal... he really was quite beautiful for a pet store betta.

Anyone have an idea of how to get him to eat the betta pellets? He won't eat the betta pellets but he'll eat the frog pellets. Can I just feed the frog pellets?

The brands are:
Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
HBH frog and tadpole bites

I'm using Instant Ocean brand salt... is this okay? I have it for my hermit crabs already because the drink the stuff.

once again, thanx!

Last edited by TaraJets; 03-09-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #7 
cjayBetta

dont feed him for 3 days then offer him a betta pellet.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
TaraJets

Okay, good idea. So the salt water mix is okay even though it's to make full on ocean water?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #9 
cjayBetta

Im not 100% sure.. PM Oldfishlady and ask her if that would be ok.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #10 
TaraJets

mkay. Again, Thanx for all the help. I'll be reporting back in 10 days with progress.

Tags
fin, fin rot, sick betta, tail biting