Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #1 
BettaMama11

Exclamation Is she just bloated or is she sick =( help!

Lily started to eat recently, I fed her yesterday and the day before with pellets, the day before that with a tiny piece of pea. A week ago I noticed some white/silvery flecks, but after a discussion on the forum it was sorta concluded that it may be her coloring changing...now the white stuff has gotten bigger and her belly seems big too...i fed her 3 pellets yesterday in the morning and 3 before i went to work at 10pm with one small bloodworm in between.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 US gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76F (house is a bit chilly, turned heat up)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Color Enhancing Betta Pellets, Topfin freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? She just started eating. Tiny piece of pea on the 3/10/11; 3 garlic soaked pellets 3/11/12; 6 unsoaked pellets & 1 tiny bloodworm 3/12/11 (3 in am, 3 in pm, bloodworm in between)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% done on 3/11/11, 50% for two days then 100% again.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Stomach looks much bigger, white patch also larger
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? a lot more active swimming a lot kind of darting about the tank when I come near...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? treated her for a week with Bettafix. For today's problem: not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I noticed some white silvery flecks on her about a week and a half ago..
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought her 3 weeks ago.

Picture 1: Taken on March 5th
Picture 2: Taken on March 10th
Pictures 3 & 4: Taken today March 13th

Please help!
Attached Images

BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

She looks eggy to me.

Just to make sure.. you do know that 1/2 gallon really isn't a good size for a permanent set up?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3 
BettaMama11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
She looks eggy to me.

Just to make sure.. you do know that 1/2 gallon really isn't a good size for a permanent set up?
I know =( I got her a 10G about a week ago but its cycling at the mo...do you think I should pop her in and start a fish in? I don't know what the levels are yet, but I can go take a sample to petco today...or buy one of those kit things...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

No.. it's fine for short term containment and you seem to be doing the needed water changes. I'd leave her in there and not risk expsosure to ammonia while you cycle, especially if you don't have a proper test kit.

But like I said.. she looks fine.. just eggy which is totally normal for a female.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #5 
BettaMama11

Oh ok, I've never seen her like that before. Should I wait to feed her? she just looks like she's going to pop! =(
Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Well.. having fed topfin pellets before I probably wouldn't feed her 6 pellets. She will be just fine with 4 a day. But no, I don't think you need to wait to feed her because I don't think she is bloated.

Just make sure your still seeing poop in the bottom of her tank and that her activity level is normal. A fast day is always a good idea.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #7 
BettaMama11

Yeah she's acting like her regular self, maybe 2 in the am and 2 in the pm sounds good, you think a snack of bloodworm in between is ok? I might just give her a midday/afternoon feed today, and keep an eye on her...