Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa
Member
 
LucyLoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Soil Mineralization:

Link!
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

I'm working on this right now... or trying to. We haven't been getting a lot of sun around here recently....

Just thought the rest of you would like to see the benefits of mineralization.
Of course I'll still be poking the substrate just in case to let in oxygen: it never hurts.

Can't wait to get things finished up.
:)
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
shinybetta
Member
 
shinybetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Setting up a walstad/NPT tank? They are great, I have one of my own, and the fish and plants are very happy. I have never done a water change (though I refill roughly 10 percent a week), and every fish is in peak condition.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #3 
LucyLoofa
Member
 
LucyLoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Yep! Definately!
My last go ammonia built up. Definitely trying to prevent that this go round.
I'm thinking about returning the soil I bought before I give this a go again and get cheap cheap topsoil for this.

I'm preparing for a fish I offered to adopt. Haven't heard anything about him though. :(
It's still best to get this thing going though. I'll see if I can find a nice little guy at petsmart to live in the tank for now.

I'm thinking mineralizing the soil and upgrading to my 10 gallon will fix a lot of the problems I had before.

I've also got a more diverse set of plants this go through, and I'll be experimenting with different floaters as well, even though the frogbit is doing well in my snail jars.

*crossing fingers*
I really want this to go well!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 
MoePaac
New Member
 
MoePaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm curious to see how this goes for you, please keep us updated.

I have my 12g, 2.5g, and 3g walstad tanks. As of right now (hah that always changes) my plan is to set up a 20g long this summer and get rid of the other tanks. I'm going to summer my male betta outdoors, and then I'll have to have a tank for him once fall rolls around. This way I can have the 1 large(r) tank that will house all of my fish comfortably and allow me to get a school of rasbora's or something. I have more than enough plants amongst those three tanks that I won't have to buy many more.

Anyway, the whole point of that ramble is I have been thinking about doing something different with the soil. I found Miracle Grow Organic to be fine, but I felt like it took a long while to get going for the plants. With this in mind, all I did was dump it in the tank and see what happened. No mineralizing or aerating. My most successful has been my 3 gallon. I used some random potting soil that was frozen and just dumped it in. Who knows... that tank just really works. If/when I do the 20g long I want to use a variation of soils.

I'm thinking about mixing a little Miracle Grow Organic, some of this random potting soil if I have some left over, and then some soil from my backyard which has a lot of clay in it. This time around I will be rinsing it multiple times and letting it dry in the sun. I'm going to take care in getting out large clumps of whatever I find also. So I guess I'll be doing a variation of the link you posted.

I find these tanks to be very rewarding. I kind of like the challenge of figuring out what works for your tank and what doesn't. And, once you do figure it out, it is really great to see the plants take off and get that nice shade of green!

Sorry for all the rambling!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 
LucyLoofa
Member
 
LucyLoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
I'm curious to see how this goes for you, please keep us updated.

I have my 12g, 2.5g, and 3g walstad tanks. As of right now (hah that always changes) my plan is to set up a 20g long this summer and get rid of the other tanks. I'm going to summer my male betta outdoors, and then I'll have to have a tank for him once fall rolls around. This way I can have the 1 large(r) tank that will house all of my fish comfortably and allow me to get a school of rasbora's or something. I have more than enough plants amongst those three tanks that I won't have to buy many more.

Anyway, the whole point of that ramble is I have been thinking about doing something different with the soil. I found Miracle Grow Organic to be fine, but I felt like it took a long while to get going for the plants. With this in mind, all I did was dump it in the tank and see what happened. No mineralizing or aerating. My most successful has been my 3 gallon. I used some random potting soil that was frozen and just dumped it in. Who knows... that tank just really works. If/when I do the 20g long I want to use a variation of soils.

I'm thinking about mixing a little Miracle Grow Organic, some of this random potting soil if I have some left over, and then some soil from my backyard which has a lot of clay in it. This time around I will be rinsing it multiple times and letting it dry in the sun. I'm going to take care in getting out large clumps of whatever I find also. So I guess I'll be doing a variation of the link you posted.

I find these tanks to be very rewarding. I kind of like the challenge of figuring out what works for your tank and what doesn't. And, once you do figure it out, it is really great to see the plants take off and get that nice shade of green!

Sorry for all the rambling!
:) That's perfectly fine!
I find all of this terribly fascinating! I can't wait to find out what works either! I can't believe I hadn't heard of poking the soil before I started my first set up, I think it would've been more successful that way.
I've ordered TONS of plants, so hopefully I can get things up and running pretty smoothly.

I can't wait to hear how planting the 20 long goes for you! And to see pictures of it afterwards!!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #6 
rue721
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
My most successful has been my 3 gallon. I used some random potting soil that was frozen and just dumped it in. Who knows... that tank just really works. If/when I do the 20g long I want to use a variation of soils.
I've got a bare-bottomed 3.5 gallon (w/o a light) that I'd really like to plant.

Did you really just put regular potting soil on the bottom instead of substrate? Is there anything in regular potting soil (besides peat) that would be really bad for an aquarium? How'd you choose your plants? Do you use fertilizer?

I thought I'd have to wait until I got a 20 gal. to do any planting besides Java fern/moss--it'd be so great to plant the 3.5! :)
rue721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #7 
shinybetta
Member
 
shinybetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
I've got a bare-bottomed 3.5 gallon (w/o a light) that I'd really like to plant.

Did you really just put regular potting soil on the bottom instead of substrate? Is there anything in regular potting soil (besides peat) that would be really bad for an aquarium? How'd you choose your plants? Do you use fertilizer?

I thought I'd have to wait until I got a 20 gal. to do any planting besides Java fern/moss--it'd be so great to plant the 3.5! :)
Search walstad method. It will tell you everything. Basically just organic soil topped by sand.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #8 
rue721
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Search walstad method. It will tell you everything. Basically just organic soil topped by sand.
Thanks!
rue721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #9 
LucyLoofa
Member
 
LucyLoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
Thanks!
The link I posted will tell you what you need for the soil. It follows the walstad method's requirements but has added clay that keeps the soil from being disrupted too much and has pot ash etc for mineral supplementation for the plants.

EDIT:
GRRRRRRRRRRR
THERE IS NO SUN HERE.
When will my soil dry??? :C
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NPT - Air under soil? kfish Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 02-26-2011 04:00 PM
Aquatic Soil Welsh Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 11-10-2010 02:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.