Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
laughing

How to BUILD a tank?

How would you go about actually building a tank? I think it'd be fun to at least try, even if it was a total failure!

There's some nice silicone sealant at my PetSmart,
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Product+Type

Then what would you get? Some fiber-glass? What would be something good to hold it together with, like the trim?

I'm not talking about building some 30 gallon tank, just a small one!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

the glass in aquaria are not tempered and take some skill to cut right, preparation of the adhering surfaces is tedious as well.

If you've got no experience working with cabinetry jigs or silicone sealant it is definitely not something to try.

tidbits about aquarium structure

Bottoms are almost never tempered glass, even in the largest aquariums.
This is because of the bowing stress load AND so that they can be drilled out for bulkhead fittings.

The rear glass is often a little thicker or of higher quality (or both) to deal with the extra load involved with hang on back filters.

The top and bottom rings are fitted as extra support, they're not actually necessary but they do protect the edge of the cheap glass used in smaller regular shape from being chipped and I would say primarily to keep you from opening your hand up. In larger 30/40/50 there is commonly a strap across from front to back, it is there more to keep the gap between from enlarging enough to drop lids in.

For the most part the corners of the aquarium will hold the weight of a fully filled aquarium, but we're talking without vibrations and temperature stress.

You have to order the glass used in common aquariums special, they don't carry it at home depot.

You CAN make aquaria out of the harder plexiglass you can get at home depot, but it generally needs edge support due to the flexibility.

If you want to go whole hog, you can use the kind of glass they have at home depot to make dividers in your tank! Use that sealant to glue them in place but be precise with the dimentions and don't put stress on the sides. You can use that sealant on anything it will stick to, to put plastic shelves in the tank, attach things to the back, produce a non-slip film on the bottom.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #3 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
the glass in aquaria are not tempered and take some skill to cut right, preparation of the adhering surfaces is tedious as well.

If you've got no experience working with cabinetry jigs or silicone sealant it is definitely not something to try.

tidbits about aquarium structure

Bottoms are almost never tempered glass, even in the largest aquariums.
This is because of the bowing stress load AND so that they can be drilled out for bulkhead fittings.

The rear glass is often a little thicker or of higher quality (or both) to deal with the extra load involved with hang on back filters.

The top and bottom rings are fitted as extra support, they're not actually necessary but they do protect the edge of the cheap glass used in smaller regular shape from being chipped and I would say primarily to keep you from opening your hand up. In larger 30/40/50 there is commonly a strap across from front to back, it is there more to keep the gap between from enlarging enough to drop lids in.

For the most part the corners of the aquarium will hold the weight of a fully filled aquarium, but we're talking without vibrations and temperature stress.

You have to order the glass used in common aquariums special, they don't carry it at home depot.

You CAN make aquaria out of the harder plexiglass you can get at home depot, but it generally needs edge support due to the flexibility.

If you want to go whole hog, you can use the kind of glass they have at home depot to make dividers in your tank! Use that sealant to glue them in place but be precise with the dimentions and don't put stress on the sides. You can use that sealant on anything it will stick to, to put plastic shelves in the tank, attach things to the back, produce a non-slip film on the bottom.
That's really interesting... I just thought even making a 5 gallon would be fun and I would probably never hold fish in it, I just thought it'd be fun to do!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Id be too scared to! I know some LFS make their own/sell customs, they might be able to give you pointers on what to do, if you're super interested and thunder's advice didnt scare you like it did me! X3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #5 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Id be too scared to! I know some LFS make their own/sell customs, they might be able to give you pointers on what to do, if you're super interested and thunder's advice didnt scare you like it did me! X3
HAHA! It's not scary when you know it'll probably be junked anyways!

Honestly, I don't even care if it never holds a single fish, or even a plant. I just think it'd be FUN!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Haha, a plant?! XD That's be sorta neat, if it managed to not derp out! Maybe get some BA worms and watch em in there >;O
Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

you could make see-through planters glued to the inside of the tank, like two inch tall by five inches out from the end
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #8 
laughing

Good idea, and yeah I'm not really into "THIS HAS TO WORK!!" I'm more like "Hahah, I'm bored!" :D
Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

XD COME GLASS! LET US ASSEMBLE YOU!
*dundadadun!*
*looks like an abstract sculpture*

ON SECOND THOUGHT! ON TO PAINTING BY NUMBERS! X'D
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
XD COME GLASS! LET US ASSEMBLE YOU!
*dundadadun!*
*looks like an abstract sculpture*

ON SECOND THOUGHT! ON TO PAINTING BY NUMBERS! X'D
EXACTLY

I'm more of a "let's try..." kind of person! I just love trying new stuff out especially in the fishie world!