Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 
laughing

How do you come up with money to help your betta obsession??

As some of you may know I'm going to get my first betta in awhile soon, but I think I might have to get a second because I can't decide!! Thankfully I have an empty tank right now to split until I can get a 2 gallon to split (the empty tank is SUPPOSED to be for my mollie fry!). But of course I need to get about $35-$40 in a week or two!

What do you guys do to get money? Personally (b/c I'm having to save most of my income right now) I try to work weekends for people, ask friends and such if they have odd-ball chores, etc.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Buy second hand......go to thrift stores...great place to get aquariums and some supplies......I have never paid full price for any tank I own......last summer I got a complete 10gal-hood, lights, filter for less than $7.00 and complete Eclipse 3gal for under $5.00 and a no-name 5gal acrylic with hood, lights filter and other stuff for under $6.00....you have to go check them out on a regular basis because supplies vary from day to day....but its worth it...lol.....

I got both my 55g and 75g with wood stand for FREE......best price ever...lol.....

Lights-I buy shop lights for $9.99 double strip lights.....light bulbs for my planted tanks...GE brand 20-40w 6500k for best plant growth....48in 2/$5.99 and 18-24in $5.99...you don't have to buy just aquarium products for lighting needs....its seems if it is labeled aquarium it is 3 times the price...lol.....and other things will work just as well......same thing different label.......

Talk with owners of Ma & Pa type pet shops...often they will take your overflow of fry for store credit-they usually will not buy things from you but store credits can add up over time to get food, heater...etc.....

I make and/or grow a lot of my own fish food too.....saves a lot of money when you have as many fish as I do....lol.....

I make my own filter media

No reason to break the bank for the hobby on some things....granted some items you do have to invest a bit......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #3 
Macky3

This is a good thread...For me its really hard for me to make up the money since I dont have my job anymore but I am a minor and I saved up so much money from when I was a little kid...Haha..But I just want to get a bunch of stuff so I will have it..Primarily the 10 gallons at Petsmart cause they are 12 dollars...But Im probly getting off topic...Fish are SOOO Addictive! :) I have a whole book case for my tanks but I havent even filled them all yet...I dont know what types of fish to get either..Of course I have Bettas but the Mollies and Guppies really interest me..Sorry if I got off topic :) Its just so fun to talk about fishies
Macky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 
Luimeril

Craigslist is a good place to find tanks for a tad cheaper. i see many 10 gallon sets going for less than you'd pay at walmart or petco/smart. if i'm extremely lucky, i may get a 20 gallon for free off there!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #5 
laughing

Macky- I have gorgeous balloon mollies that will have fry soon most likely. Id be happy to ship you some! Id be thrilled if you wanted to exchange some babies for decorations, even a plant you don't use anymore. You'd make my day(:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #6 
laughing

I found my 20 gal for $30 which I found to be a steal :D and I got my 5 or watev it is for free with light hood and filter!