Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Batman twitching!help! PHOTOS please help...

Housing
What size is your tank?1.5 gallons (temporary)
What temperature is your tank?78
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?I normally feed him 3-4 pellets a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:dont know
Nitrate:dont know
pH:dont know
Hardness:dont know
Alkalinity: dont know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?pale,clamped fins,the white in his fins are RED this morning he had some sort of slime/fuzz hanging off his top fin.( it fell off while I gave him a salt bath and gave him a 100% water change)

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?twitchy swimming, he is also only using one of his pectoral fins.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?This morning.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Since I saw the white fuzz/slime I added 1 tsp of salt in his 1.5 gallon and I added a dose of fungus clear.( package says it is for bacteria and fungus) It's the only other thing I had on hand at the moment.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?Not really, he had finrot when I first got him but he has been ok ever since then.

How old is your fish (approximately)?I got him about a month ago.

This morning I noticed Batman sitting at the bottom of his tank. I freaked out! tapped the side and he didn't move! after a while he finally moved and I noticed his fins were real red and he was doing a twitchy swim and only using one of his pectoral fins. He also had a little bit of white fuzz slime stringy thing hanging from his top fin. I gave him a salt bath and did a 100% water change. (the white stuff fell off in the water while I was giving him a salt bath) This afternoon he is still doing the twitchy swimming and only using one pectoral fin.

What else can I do?
I feel like he is dieing and I feel awful ...I don't know what to do or what I am doing wrong..

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Administrator View Public Profile Send a private message to Administrator Find More Posts by Administrator
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

The white stringy fuzz is back again.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
Abby

Id not do 100% water changes try 50% and make sure your floating him to reaclimatise him if hes removed for the 100% changes. is the string a part of his fin coming off?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Twitching can indicate parasites and/or irritation. I've had the same stringy stuff, and I was just assuming it was a type of fungus or maybe parasites.

Aquarium salt would definitely help... Try doing daily 100% water changes with a tsp of aq. salt per gallon (only use the salt for ten days) and see how he does. Maybe 1 1/2 tsp of salt if it's very stubborn. The little extra shouldn't hurt him.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

He is still twitching around in circles at the top of his tank. I have no idea what to do.I don't know what I did wrong.
I have aquarium salt in his tank right now.
It isn't a part of his fin its just a white stringy/slime.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Doesn't matter if you have it in the tank right now- try what I said in the previous post. It should help to clear it up. Might take a bit, but hopefully he'll get better soon.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I removed him from the 1.5 gallon hexagon tank during water change.I added him back into the 1 gallon kritter keeper with aquarium salt. I didn't add anything else in the Kritter keeper...not even the heater.( just in case that was leeching something into the water) just him and the thermometer. I am using a heat lamp for the moment..it keeps his water at a constant 80degrees.
He is a tad bit more active, but he is still twitchy and not eating...pale.clamped fins..and he kind of hangs out around the top of the water and he usually is only using one of his pectoral fins...the white slime/fuzz is gone however....The twitch is making me worry...I don't see anything that would indicate velvet or ich.He also isn't rubbing against anything, he just hangs out around the top of the water, and it looks like he has little seizures and he swims in little circles while twitching.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Should I try something like maracyn or parasite clear and see if it helps?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

His fins are stilled clamped and hes very twitchy...I might pick up a parasite medication while I'm up in the area of a pet store tonight. Which one would be better, coppersafe, or parasite clear?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

I'd use Parasite Clear by Jungle- it's been most effective. I usually try not to use anything else than aq. salt, as it's the #1 treatment of most parasites, etc. But if you'd like to use meds, go with the second one.