Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 
redian

Many many moving white dots

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of posts just like this on the forum but I didn't see any pictures that looked quite like what I have when I searched around.

That being said, I have a 2.5 gallon tank with one betta, a couple of Amazon Swords, and a Java Fern. I have a Whisper 3i filter, and a small heater that hasn't quite been working.

I'm on spring break and didn't want to leave Demyx (my betta) at school so I brought him home via subway and train. I know. Stressful. Probably more so for me than for him. But it was a rainy day and I suspect a few drops of rain may have landed in his tank on the way. That being said, two days later, I went to my local pet store (way cheaper than city pet stores) and picked up some blood worms (which he loved) as well as one of those floating betta logs (My mom decided she was going to spoil him). I was eager to add it to the tank, so I washed it down in hot tap water let it cool and added it to the tank. After my fascination with where it would float in the tank faded, I started to notice these little white dots. All over the tank. I mean ALL OVER. Thousands it feels like. They were floating in the water, and all over the walls. I decided it wasn't dust when I started observing their movement patterns on the walls, which seemed to not be affected by Demyx swimming by, but would reverse if they crashed into each other. With the filter on, the number floating in the water seems to have diminished, but the number on the walls has not changed. In fact, there is one section on the wall that had a high concentration yesterday, and today seems to have that same concentration but with an equally large concentration of equally smaller white dots. My parents think I'm crazy saying they're moving. I assure you, they are. I've attached a picture so that you can see what I'm talking about. The black line in the background is the width of your average power cable (it's from the heater). Is it really just copepods or could it be something worse? Could I do anything to get rid of them? I should note also that the temperature the tank is being kept at home is 72-74F, whereas because my dorm at school was warmer, the temperature there was about 76-80F.
Attached Images

redian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
brittney0430

Hi,

Just like a week ago I started noticing these on my tank walls and tank water also.
It was never there for the two months I have had my Betta.
I did a 75% water change and used a Siphon Vacuumm cleaner/gravel cleaner yesterday and they are still there! D: they make the tank look dirty to visitors it gets on my nerves I also want to learn a way to get rid of these.
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 
redian

Exactly! It's driving me insane! and Yay I'm not alone haha. I think what's scaring me the most though is how many of them they are. It's kinda like having an entire nest of ants marching through your house. Small, but ridiculous numbers.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
brittney0430

Yeah haha. I have ALOT on the bottom walls of my 1 gallon tank with my 1 Betta in there :) Idk what it is, but I hope its safe and won't affect my baby girl, Jo(:
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 
peachesxo

eeew! i just noticed these is my new guys 10 gal tank today as well!!
and i have a crazy weird goopy white algea bloom thing

aargh!!

what are they!?
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #6 
briser

Hm, I wish I could help but I'm not sure what they are.. I haven't see anything like that in any of my tanks.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 
shinybetta

I have some of those. They are harmless.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
redian

I figured they're probably harmless, but they're driving me insane! Is there any way to get rid of them?