Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
soichiro

Starting over

Hey so my betta recently passed away and i want to get another betta but im not sure if i should go with another male or get a few females (if thats possible) i have a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter. however with my last betta i never used aquarium salt and am wondering what a good brand is.

also i do realize i will need to clean the tank with vinegar and all of the toys in the tank need cleaning. also i was told that with the filter i shouldn't replace the filter to help with the tank cycling. but will i want to get a new filter since i will be cleaning out the tank and getting a new fish?

also with the water cycling should a wait a few weeks before a buy a new betta or what? basically it all comes down to my last betta was a beginner betta for me and now i want to get more advanced and help ensure that my next betta will live longer than 8 months.
soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You don't need Aquarium salt unless your fish gets sick. Adding it constantly can actually harm the fish. You COULD have a sorority (several females), but they aren't always successful, and you would need backup tanks for every single one of them. I'd just go with a male, or divided it so you can have a couple of males.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #3 
soichiro

well then why did soichiro only live 8 months? should i get a new filter for the tank and should i clean out the tank still
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I don't know why he died, but Aquarium salt won't help them live longer. Honestly, you don't need another filter. Just rinse the filter (the inside) with hot, dechlorinated water, and get a new cartridge. Yes, you will have to cycle the tank again if you completely clean it out. Sometimes fish just die and we don't know why, it's a mystery.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #5 
soichiro

alright well how long will it take to recycle the tank so i know when i can get a new betta
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

You need a test kit so you can monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. If you want to see exactly how to cycle a tank, click this link. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838