Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Sigh, guilt...

I feel bad for my bettas! I think their homes are nice, and although I'd love to upgrade 2 of my betta's homes, I don't think they're that bad! But on youtube everyone is like "water changes daily, get a 5 or 10 gallon, are you sure your fish isn't sick?" Blah blah... I honestly can't get anything new right now, but my fish are healthy and happy! The worst I've had to deal with was some fin rot on my CT, which is completely cleared up now... My smallest tank is a 1 gallon with an airstone. Biggest is my 2.5 gallon MiniBow with the whole dealio (filter, heater, light) that's my fave! And then my VT in a 1.2 gallon vase in my mom's room... Ugh, it just makes me feel guilty that so many people have such wonderful and enormous tanks for their bettas when they first bring them home, and this is the best I can do after months... sigh...
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
I feel bad for my bettas! I think their homes are nice, and although I'd love to upgrade 2 of my betta's homes, I don't think they're that bad! But on youtube everyone is like "water changes daily, get a 5 or 10 gallon, are you sure your fish isn't sick?" Blah blah... I honestly can't get anything new right now, but my fish are healthy and happy! The worst I've had to deal with was some fin rot on my CT, which is completely cleared up now... My smallest tank is a 1 gallon with an airstone. Biggest is my 2.5 gallon MiniBow with the whole dealio (filter, heater, light) that's my fave! And then my VT in a 1.2 gallon vase in my mom's room... Ugh, it just makes me feel guilty that so many people have such wonderful and enormous tanks for their bettas when they first bring them home, and this is the best I can do after months... sigh...

Awww dont feel bad, you do what you can do hun. your fish are happy and healthy thats the main thing right.
go sit in front of each fishy for 5 minutes and play with them that will cheer you up :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree...lot of different ways to keep Bettas along with lots of different opinion...as long as you are providing clean water, proper temp and nutrition IMO-tank size doesn't matter with this species of fish as much as it does with other species due in part of their fins...bigger isn't always better with long fin Bettas and sometimes in our quest to provide large spaces we can stress them and cause injury to their fins....Bettas can be neglected in a large tank just as they can be neglected in a small tanks.......

Be happy and enjoy your Bettas and trust that you are providing them with the very best care that can be given.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #4 
Luimeril

my babies are mostly in 2.5 gallon homes. not even tanks(except Theo), but Kritter Keepers. shoot, Zidane's in a sterilite bin! but, they're happy. how do i know? they're active, healthy, they eat fine, and they build me some pretty bubble nests. as long as you provide what they need, they're happy. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww, thanks so much guys!!! That made me feel loads better. :) Abby, you made me LOL, not kidding. I am going to do just that, Liberty wants a game. :D OFL, thanks so much! I try really hard to do my best, and I don't have any sick fish on my hands, so I must be doing something right! :)
Luimeril, yay, that makes me feel better to know that someone else with tons of bettas does the same thing! :) Your fish are so pretty! :)
Thanks a gazillion, that made my day I think. :)
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 
Luimeril

thank you. :3 i often feel bad, because Lulu's stuck in a 1 gallon for now. but, when she comes up to me, wiggling and (oddly) showing her breeding bars(is she crushing on me? XD), i feel better. :3
Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Hahaha, that would be interesting! Haha. A betta crushing on you. :P That's like, the bee movie for bettas. I didn't really like the bee movie... :P LOL. I'm sure your lil girl is actually very happy.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #8 
cjayBetta

I feel bad for my VT that he is in a 1.5 at the moment but eventually i will be able to upgrade him and eventually (if you want to) you can upgrade yours too. Some people don't understand that you may be strapped for cash or space and can't put them in anything bigger. Actually it's the same for my turtles, I need to DOUBLE the size of their home like a month ago but right now I dont have the money. BUT I keep them clean, well fed and happy and thats all that really matters when you think about it. These people that RAGE when they see your betta isnt in a 5g or bigger annoy the HECK out of me its like... shut up.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #9 
Luimeril

well, she shows the breeding bars whenever i show up to feed her or talk to her/check how she's doing. x3 it's cute.

Caroline's happy in her 1.5. she's a tiny little thing, so there's more than enough room for her. x3c
Old 03-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Exactly! I personally think 1.5 gallons is a pretty nice size! :) Cjay, IKR! I am really glad most of those people's bettas are happy in their big tanks (5 gallons and up) but it doesn't mean our bettas aren't! :)
Luimeril, awww! My girl is a white marble, so it's hard to tell if she ever has breeding bars... but she always seems chubby! Do you think she's full of eggs? :)
Abby, I just gave Liberty a partial water change, an extra pellet and a flare excersize adn I feel much better! :D