Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #1 
Perplexed

Exclamation Jesse is sick...am confused

hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, but i have been reading all your posts avidly for a number of weeks since i got my Betta

I have had my betta, Jesse for a couple months. He lives in a unfiltered 2 gallon bowl, no other bowl-mates. I feed him Hikari pellets/flakes once daily, frozen bloodworms in the weekend. I do a weekly 75% water change, and i test my water every week with Api testkit. And my water quality parameters have been perfect, even up to when he got sick. The water temp is fine 27-28 degC

He has been a very happy fish until the last week or so, he started behaving sick- lethargic and clamped fins etc. He looked a bit dull-lustred on his body, but no fur/spots/fin tears. I medicated him with Bettafix as the bottle suggested and he has picked up a little bit, I have also done more frequent water changes (2-3 days). With this treatment he seems to have picked up slightly but he's still not a 100%
Today i noticed he is swimming in a strange way, darting around erratically, up against plants and objects in the tank. I have read that this kind of behaviour could be due to external or internal parasites. But there is nothing visible (spots etc) on his body, i've looked hard.
What do i do??
I've done yet another water change... cos i simply don't know what else to do.
I've also added some rock salt to the water- many threads seem to suggest this may help

Should i get a parasite treatment? are tablets or treatment better? any difference?

I guess i'm just looking forguidance /reassurance that I'm on the right track.
I'm very fond of jesse, I don't wanna lose him, so thank you in advance
for your time and advice.

My profile pic is a picture of him in his bowl- taken when he was not sick!
Perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

What kind of dechlorinator are you using and how much salt did you add....when he flashes or rubs his body on things in the tank...does it look like it is more in the gill area or his whole body......

In a 2gal unfiltered tank I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%.....

Right now I would go ahead and do 100% with extra dechlorinator with like temp water....

Do you have live plants, if so what kind and how many....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #3 
Perplexed

Hello OFL

I am using a "aquarium science complete water treatment" as my dechlorinator
and I have already done 2 water changes this week, exactly as u suggested

I also use "aqua master black water extract" in the water- my local aquarium shop recommended it to me, said it recreates the peat-environment in the water that Bettas like? it's an organic product that's supposed to be not harmful to fish

I only have one live plant in a little terracotta pot, I dunno what it's called sorry.. I'll attach a picture and you'll see it

Anyway... Jesse has not been observed to do the darting and rubbing his body in the last 2 days since i changed the water and added organic salt (non iodised). he's still a little subdued and hides more than his usual self.

This morning he was very still, and it gave me such a fright , I thought he was dead!! he just lied along the top of the water near the surface and didn't move for ages! But that was early in the morning, could he have been sleeping? do fish sleep?!!
anyway this evening he seems to be active and swimming again

I'm also starving him for 3 days, in case that helps. I'll start feeding again tomorrow

I appreciate any advice or reassurance you can give me
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

Aw, he's adorable. c:
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Interesting products...got any links...would love to learn more about them as I have never heard of then before....love to learn about new stuff...lol....

Good that he has improved with the salt and water changes....sometimes that is all it takes.....

Not sure about the plant...it looks a little like Anubias...but not sure.....
Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #6 
Perplexed

OFL
They are Australian products, (I'm in Australia) Thats probably why you've never heard of them
Can i ask another question.. is it normal for my Betta to hang at the water surface, quite still? he does move if i approach and give him some stimulation, like tap on the bowl... then he swims around normally.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Only so much a fish can do in a closed system.......sounds normal......