Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #1 
Luliyuhrouwn

blue/white film on eye?

I have a brand new (not even home for 24 hours) halfmoon in a 2.5 gallon, unfiltered, heated to 79*. Last night as I was finishing his set up and floating his cup in the tank, I noticed over the top half of his left eye is a blue-white film. Its the same or close to the same color as the rest of his body, which is a light periwinkle. Is this normal or common? His other eye is crystal clear, so it almost looks like a pigmentation issue but its opaque, and I'm not sure if it could be cataracts? I'm a bit concerned, but otherwise he seems very healthy and active.

On an unrelated note, I also have the small aqueon manual (?) siphon, which says its "ideal for all aqueon desktop aquariums" which both of bettas are in. I can't get the dang thing to work. I followed the extremely detailed (sarcasm) insturctions, including both figure a and b, but nothing happened. Anyone else have this siphon? Any success, or is it not worth it?

Thanks
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

Can't help you with the mechanics, but I do know that often iridescent fish have some iridescence over their eyes. It's not a problem unless the eye swells, looks nasty or the fish is acting like it can't see. For example, this guy:
Attached Images

Last edited by FuulieQ; 03-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 
Luliyuhrouwn

I'm assuming it is something along those lines, althogh yesterday evening he was sorta clamping his fins a bit. I'm going to see how he does this afternoon and go from there, he may still be adjusting.
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote