Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #1 
l2aymond

Betta just laying at the bottom of his tank!

Ok, so me and my gf purchased a betta from petco about a month ago. We originaly purchased a 1/2 gallon bowl with no heater and no filter. after about a week we realized this was no good. about a week ago we purchased a new 20 gallon, heated, filtered tank. I set the tank up and made sure everything seemed ok for a few days. I used tap water w/ conditioner and used a ph test kit. I had to add ph down twice and it still wont even come close to being 7... When we first put the fish in he seemed fine swimming around, checking everything out. After being in the tank for only 2 days he seems like hes "tired" all the time. He just goes inside his log and lays flat on the bottom not moving for very long periods of time. If I try to get him to move hes very slow to react. This moring I found him right in the middle of the tank out in the open flat against the bottom. I though he was dead and I gave him a nudge with the net. he moved alittle bit and whent right back to laying down. Every once in awile ill see him swimming around but then he goes right back to laying. Now ive been reading and it seems this could be a problem with his bladder. Im going to fast him for a couple days and try the pea thing. but any help would be awesome.

Housing
What size is your tank? 20gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra brand betta flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, morning

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? havent done one yet but was planning on 25% every month?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: not sure buts its only been 3 days
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: to high, cant tell exactly, wont read about 7.6 on my test kit
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? tired, laying on bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? started fasting him and gonna feed him a pee
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Ive only had him for about a month
l2aymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #2 
LolaQuigs

He could be reacting to the chemicals. Ph down is pretty much just acid. Chemically altering ph can make your ph unstable, which is much worse than a high ph.

Bettas are pretty hardy fish and will adapt to a wide range of ph; mine is about 8.2 and all of my bettas have been fine.

It couldn't hurt to do an epsom salt treatment if you do suspect swim bladder issues. I'd move him into a smaller qt container and add 1 tsp epsom salt for two days, then 2 tso for eight days, making 100% daily water changes.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #3 
l2aymond

ok sounds good, also i forgot to methion when he swims around he stops and then his tail end will start to sink. he will spaz a sec and right himself, then do it again. I just got him to move out of his log and he swam around doing this for like 30 sec and then went back into his log

how mush salt should I add if I put him the container i purches him in. the little platic ones

Last edited by l2aymond; 03-14-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #4 
cjayBetta

1 teaspoon per Gallon, just pre mix it in a empty pop bottle (that has been well rinsed) make sure you condition the water aswell. Also I discovered that my betta developed Swim Bladder Disorder while feeding him flakes. I switched to feeding him 2 pellets twice a day and that has helped a lot, Also its a lot less messy.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 
fishman12

I think 8.0 is a pH that a lot of people on the site recommend.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #6 
l2aymond

ok I got him some freeze dried bloodworms instead of the flakes. I also picked up some "betta water" for his temp home and mixed up a little epsom salt. I hope he gets better. he just seems so lifless. he just kinda drifts wherever and lays there
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #7 
cjayBetta

Freeze dried blood worms dont have enough nutritional value for a betta's main died. Freeze dried blood worms are a treat. Its like if a human ate chips every meal.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #8 
l2aymond

alright then ill be picking up some peletes also. Im gonna have the pet store test my water in case i missed something while im there
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #9 
l2aymond

ok so I did a full water change on his little bowl and found some stringy brown poop at the botom. Not sure if this is good, bad, or signs of something else? He hasnt been improving but he doesnt seem to be getting worse. If he was reacting to the chemicals in the tank wouldnt he have greatly inproved by now being in diffrent water w/ out the chemicals?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #10 
turtle10

I would not use Betta water. Just use normal tap water with dechlorinator.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote