Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #11 
nmaybyte

If I may, I noticed you didn't test your water for ammonia/nitrite and nitrate. Why not test the main aquarium and see what they're sitting at? It can't hurt. Don't use the little paper strips. They suck....I learned my lesson after Ceasar died. If your betta is being exposed to too much NH3/NH+4 then he may become lethargic like you described.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #12 
l2aymond

I did check them myself and had the pet store check them and they were all perfect. He has been been completly back to normal after fasting for a few days in his little bowl. I tried feeding him a pea but he didnt want anything to do with it. I let him back out into his tank and he swims around a bit then goes and lays on the bottom again. Not nearly as bad as he did before but still I dont think thats normal. He also keeps opening his mouth realy wide... any thoughts
l2aymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #13 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2aymond View Post
I did check them myself and had the pet store check them and they were all perfect. He has been been completly back to normal after fasting for a few days in his little bowl. I tried feeding him a pea but he didnt want anything to do with it. I let him back out into his tank and he swims around a bit then goes and lays on the bottom again. Not nearly as bad as he did before but still I dont think thats normal. He also keeps opening his mouth realy wide... any thoughts
Take a pic of him and the tank. I'm not trying to waste your time but the other day one ofthe members told me that X was really bloated. He's been doing something similar so I wonder if it's a fat betta thing. Although he's not been lethargic like your's has been. He's been swimming around and having a good old time, it's just he likes perching....a lot.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #14 
l2aymond

Ill try and get a pic soon. however i can deff say in no way is he fat lol. He does seem rather "lazy" though just kind of lounging everywhere
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #15 
l2aymond

ok guys, I need help really bad!

My fish was doing great with the epsom salt treatment and "betta water" in his little bowl. So I did a 25% water change on his normal 20gal tank using tap water with conditioner and let him back out. He seemed great the first day and then everyday after that he got progresivly worse just laying on the bottom not moving or eating anything. He got to the point where he just kind of lets any water current pull him around and he doesnt bother even trying to move. He just lays there slowly breathing! I noticed white stringy poop hanging from him. I got jungle labs paracite kill tabs and aqarium salt for his tank. After 24hours with both treatments he is only getting worse. I took him back out and put him back in the "betta water" and epsom salt.

what happened? is my tap water just not good for him, even with conditioner? the water is clean and checks out fine with all tests but maybe something else is in it. I did notice that the area over the filter on the hood of my tank has been building up a white chalky film on it. could this be a sign of something bad in my water?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #16 
vaygirl

If he was fine in the cup and the betta water and not in the tank with tap water, I'd think there's something going on with something in that tank or your water. What kind of water conditioner are you using?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #17 
l2aymond

aqueon water conditioner
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #18 
vaygirl

You could try switching to Prime water conditioner. You can usually pick it up at Petco. I know Prime pulls out heavy metals as well as chlorine and chloramine. If it were me, I'd tear the tank down, rinse everything, put everything back together and then try treating the water with Prime instead and leave out the ph down. In the meantime, if you still have the one gallon, you could switch him into it with betta water. Or float him in his cup with betta water as you were doing before until you're ready to re-do the tank.

I had a tank once that killed two fish in a row in a matter of a week. I don't know why. I took it apart and haven't used it since. Their symptoms were kinda similar to yours.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #19 
l2aymond

thats not a bad idea, The tank is brand new and this is the first fish in it. My fish is now acting almost paralyzed. not moving unless he absolutly has 2. He just lets himslef fall to the bottom flopping on the gravel. I did a 25% water change and retreated with the anti parasite taps. When I poured the new water in he flipped out trying to jump out of the tank a couple times but then he just flopped back onto the bottom.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #20 
l2aymond

O and when I was changing the water I found 2 fruit flys in his water floating on the top. if it means anything