Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #21 
turtle10

Why are you treating him for parasites? Was the water the same temp?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #22 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Sorry to hear about your fish. I had a similar problem with five of my males just today, and it was caused by the carbon in the filter somehow (at least I think it was!) It was raising the PH to 8.5 and apparently killing them!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65899

Not sure if this is your problem but you may want to try putting him in treated water WITHOUT the filter for a bit. *shrugs*

I really hope he's ok!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #23 
l2aymond

I was treating him for parasites because He has white stringy poop and idk what else to do. Yes the water was the same temp

Ive also had the filter running without the carbon filter part in it per the instructions on the perisite taps.
l2aymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #24 
turtle10

Okay well in the future don't give the betta medicine unless you know what you are treating. Medicines are also harsh and should be a last resort after the aquarium salt treatment.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #25 
l2aymond

well I did research before I treated him and it seemed like the parasite treatment wouldnt harm him even if he didnt have any... I feel terrible and dont know what else I can do.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #26 
turtle10

Medicines are just harsh on the body (fish and humans) and shouldn't be taken unless necessary. Don't feel terrible though.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #27 
l2aymond

ok so ive moved my fish back into a small bowl with betta water and epsom salt and floated it in his heated tank. He has lost alot of his color and seems to be turning yellow. His breathing is also very heavy now
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #28 
LolaQuigs

Give him some time in his qt setup, he might be reacting badly to the different chemicals and medicines, and needs some time to get them out of his system. If you do suspect internal parasites, try soaking his pellets in garlic juice, it's perfectly safe for the fish and a natural parasite treatment.

I would definitely try using prime when you're ready to take him out of qt, and it can't hurt to add a little more than recommended. It definitely sounds like you have some sort of water quality issue. Maybe you could contact the water department of your city and ask about it. If the prime doesn't help, you may have to look into reverse osmosis water.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 03-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #29 
demonr6

I feel for you on this one. I came in to work yesterday and Max is acting the same way. I did his partial water change on Friday afternoon, I do twice weekly on Monday & Friday. I found him laying next to a stone and turning on the light which usually gets him to rush to the top waiting for food got nothing. I tapped the glass and eventually had to move him using a plastic knife to get him alert. He spent the entire day in the back of the tank and under the heater. I did a 100% tear down rinsing everything down to the gravel and today he is still pretty much the same. He is hiding under his bridge for the most part and not moving much. Like you I am not sure what to do, he is normally really active and swimming around but over the weekend it seems like it all went to heck on me.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #30 
l2aymond

I wish my betta would eat something, otherwise I would soak his pellets...

Im on well water...