Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
kgplucker

Water Turned Pink!

Ugghh!! I decided to switch from live plants back to silk plants. I just couldn't get my water quality under control with the live plants. So I went out and got some nice looking silk plants, among them were 2 little hot pink/reddish ones. Of course I washed them well before I put them in my tank. Got up this morning and my water is pink! Aggravating....
kgplucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

thats to coloring comming of the plant. You probably know that but it could be toxic to your fish are they still in the tank???
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 
kgplucker

Took them out and doing a water change. NOT what I wanted to do this morning. Part of the aggravation....
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 
Irish Dancing Man

rinse them off again and put the plant in a bucket or something, it it turns the water pink, bring the bucket with the water to the store and you should be able to get your money back.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
kgplucker

Good idea - I hadn't thought about that. I hate that my only option where I live is Petco...
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #6 
Irish Dancing Man

My only option is petco, but its a brand new store and the guy who runs the fish department is great.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Were they plants made for a fish tank that made your tank water change colors? Gosh, if they were that's terrible!! I would definitely try to get my money back on them, they are supposed to be pet safe :/

Lol, you've made me nervous, I'll now be keeping a close eye on the red silk plants in my tank! XD
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 
kgplucker

Yes, they were made for fish tanks. In fact, they were labeled Betta Plants! They are small and that's what I needed for the front of my tank. I got them from Petco, not my favorite choice but the next closest store is about 25 miles away. (I have 2 saltwater fish stores in town but not freshwater.) The salespeople in my Petco are terrible! When I was buying my plants, I overheard her trying to sell someone one of those small "Betta" tanks (about 1/2 gallon) and telling the people that Bettas don't need filters or heaters. Just get one of those and a fish and go. I ALMOST said something but my daughter was with me and said "Don't make a scene Mommy". LOL Yes, I tend to jump into conversations like that without invitation... After a thorough cleaning and 100% water change today, no more signs of pink. Hopefully they're done.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #9 
TaylorW

That's awful!! I hope they don't leach anymore dye... :( I would soak them in some water for a few days or take them back. Lol, and I have to be careful not to say anything at Walmart, so I know how you feel :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

I had a magenta plant (bought from the "betta shop" section at Petco) that didn't turn my water pink, but it did turn the sponge in my filter media pink. I wonder how toxic the dyes are...they are made for aquariums, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean they are safe.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote